Will Angelfish Eat Harlequin Rasboras?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Iron Man

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Like the topic says...

I'm planning a great community tank but it seems this is the only thing that would be in my way of success with it....unless angels also like picking on ghost shrimp?

Any advice?

Harlequins will be fine with angels. Ghost shrimp will eventually become food.

I don't see any problems with the harlequins,either.Remember that angels will get along with much smaller fish if ........

A)They are properly fed.Meaning they are not dying from starvation.

B)They are introduced to these smaller fish as juveniles.My angels were in this community tank when they were about the size of an american nickel coin,along with neons and rams.Today some of the males are ~ 6 inches tall,and they still won't touch my tetras.-----Now,let them go without food for two days straight and things WILL change----- :)

Rasboras are alot bigger than neons mate, they wil be fine! Just try and get older ones. Or introduce them at the same time so your angels are small and the harliquins get a chance to grow a little! :)

You guys are making sense. I was told by someone that angels would eat harlequins but didn't think that was likely in the right situations.....but then I'm no expert on these cichlids and wanted to make sure. :thumbs:

Thanks!

I took a risk putting my pristella tetras in with full grown Angels, as of right now they are fine.

Rasboras are pretty large and fast compared to tetras so you should be fine. The shrimp will be eaten though.

Oh definately if I get angels the shrimp are going to be out of the picture. On the other hand if I decide not to go with angels the shrimp will definately be in there. :thumbs:

BTW, with angels it isn't only the size of the tetras/rasboras that matters. Angels will instinctively be more interested in neon-shaped fish. Harlequins are deeper-bodied and less elongated so they aren't viewed as lunch. Similarly, pristellas, black phantoms, most barbs etc are not at risk of being eaten quite like a neon, rummynose or small cardinal would be.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back