Wild Species With Splendens?

jameshughes1989

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible for betta splenden to live in another tank with one of the wild species od betta? For example, Betta albimarginata or Betta rutilans?

Anyone have experience with this? TIA

Do you mean like a community of females, consisting of betta splendens and betta rutilans, or cross breeding the 2 species?

I wouldnt mix a male with any other betta at all, male or female. If it's all females you want then mabye it's a possibility, but since i've never owned a wild betta species, wait until someone has owned them posts a reply.

The trouble with wilds is that they still look like bettas. They might generally be brown and have short fins, but it's not going to make much difference to a splendens. I'm not saying it will never work, but I can't see it working very often.

Okay thanks, so you think the splenden will be the aggressor? Maybe ill leave it for now, it was just an interesting thought.

James

Ive heard of wilds being kept with females but not males. For all that the wilds are peaceful but the splendens arent and he will still see them as rival males so will most likely attack them. And since they are alot more aggressive because they have been breed for fighting i cant see the wilds doing to well.

Ive heard of wilds being kept with females but not males. For all that the wilds are peaceful but the splendens arent and he will still see them as rival males so will most likely attack them. And since they are alot more aggressive because they have been breed for fighting i cant see the wilds doing to well.

Cheers, valid point. I then look at the personalities of bettas. Ive had some that wont go with anything, but Ive got a very timid fella that has been with all sorts, including guppies :hyper:

It was him that made me think it may be possible depending on the bettas personalities.

Thanks, James

Cheers, valid point. I then look at the personalities of bettas. Ive had some that wont go with anything, but Ive got a very timid fella that has been with all sorts, including guppies :hyper:

It was him that made me think it may be possible depending on the bettas personalities.

Thanks, James
I see where your coming from but just because hes peaceful with a guppy doesnt mean he will be peaceful with a male betta. evan if it is a different type he will still see it as a rival just the same as if you added another splenden to the tank.

And just because wilds are more peaceful, doesn't mean they're not going to be annoyed by the arrangement either. They mgiht not be bred to fight to the death, but they can definitely be feisty.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back