Wild Caught Betta

Fishball7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a pair of imbellis and trying to decide if I should go the aquarium-bred or wild caught route. I don't want to spend $100 on them only for them to die on me due to a variety of incompatibility reasons between adjusting to aquarium from wilderness. My worry might be due to paranoia though. On the same point of good and bad the fish have to go through quarantine/ready for export in Thailand, then again quarantine in Australia before it's let loose to me, so they might be really stressed out from that or adapted to a container life. I'm asking those of you who purchased wild caught betta: did they easily take to being in an aquarium? What did you do to accommodate the change? FYI they'll be in a 85 litres (22 gallons) planted tank with cherry shrimps, most likely there'll be no other fish. Water wise it'll be about half rain water and half tap water, thrown in a bunch of Indian almond leaves or the like. Thanks.

Hi i have 4 wild betta imbellis which i keep in a tank similar to yours. I live in england and i believe the man i got them from onlu had them for a couple of weeks before they travelled 300 miles to me. it took a few weeks for them to come out of there shells but they where fine eventually. id just make sure your water is very clean and provide them with ALOT of cover right up to the waters surface. are they going straight from the wildn to your tank. how many are you getting?

Cheers mate. I know some people had success with it and a few that said their fish died from stress. Just worried.

They'll be going into a 2x1x1 quarantine tank first, with 3 sides painted black. I'll toss in some offcut java fern and moss at the surface and keep the tank bare bottom. They'll be in there with parasite medication for at least 2 weeks, then transferred to the main tank.

I'll be getting a male and a female with 20 or so RCS as food/friends. Might be understocking but I want my fish to have enough space.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back