Wild Betta for my tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all I’ve got a 7.5 gallon 26 litre tank. It is run on a modified canister filter with a baffle for low flow. The tank is black water and is heavily planted. As far as stocking after keep domesticated Betta for a while the wild Betta species are really interesting to me. I also want to keep a small group (6) of brigittae rasbora as well. I was wondering if there are some smaller wild bettas that would be a good fit. I originally looked at betta imbellis but they are in the splenden complex so I think they would be to aggressive. What about betta channoides or betta coccina. I see these are often kept with small nano fish.
Any advice from wild Betta keepers would be great

Thanks
Ember

The little "wine red Betta" coccina group is fantastic, but you really have to be committed to raise your aquaristic game with them. It's a matter of respecting their needs, which is fun.
I no longer keep them, but that group and Parosphromenus are fun.

yeah I really like the "red wind betta" group
you really have to be committed to raise your aquaristic game with them
and definatly, I've been keeping fish for a while now, but due to space i can only have nano tanks. So a more challenging species is ok. I dont mind rasing the game to keep these fish happy. im already taking mesures to lower my pH to a more natral range for them

Betta channoides will be alright in a 7.5 gallon tank. I've kept a pair in a 5 gallon tank without any issues. They even bred in a 5 gallon tank.

Thank you, thank you
what do you think about houseing them with brigittae rasbora would it work

I never kept them with Boraras, but I think they'll do fine with them. I have kept hendra and rubra with Boraras naevus with no issues.

Last edited:
ok thank you for your advice, I really like the sound of these and I think they make fascinating little fish to keep in a Borneo style black water tank, so ill probably go for it if I can find some

thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back