Why is my Dwarf Gourami chasing my Columbian tetra??

Claudia.mm

Reaction score
Just a few days ago, I bought a powder blue dwarf gourami and a Columbian tetra. I am keeping just the two of them in a 10-gallon tank. When the dwarf gourami isn't hiding in the structures or in the corner, he's sneaking up on the Columbian tetra. He isn't fighting his tail, but he is poking him with his feelers and nudging his tail with his nose. The tetra doesn't seem to be bothered by this, and he usually just swims away once the gourami has harassed him. The tetra isn't scared either, because he will often approach the gourami without hesitation. What should I do?? Please help! :)

Return the Columbian tetra and just keep the gourami. The tetra needs to be in a group of at least 6 (preferably 10 or more) of its own kind.

The gourami is checking out the tetra because it might resemble a female gourami.

I agree. All tetras must have a group, and those that do not will often turn aggressive. Sometimes this is rapid, sometimes more drawn out, but it is probable.

There is another thing here too, which may be relevant. The Columbian Tetra is a more feisty tetra, and one that should never be combined with slow swimming and sedate fish like all gourami. It is possible that the tetra has been after the gourami even if you were not there to see it, or this can also occur chemically; fish release pheromones and allomones that other fish "read" and aggressive signals can be just as stressful as actual physical aggression. The dwarf gourami is not all that peaceful a fish itself, depending; it may be returning the aggression, having had enough. If the tetra was in the necessary group, the collective feistiness can make it too difficult for a picked-on fish to turn, but depending upon the temperament of the gourami this may be the case here.

Whatever the explanation, these two shouldnot be together, and the Colombian Tetra if you stay with that species must have a group of six or preferably a few more. But it is a feisty and more active tetra so keep that in mind. I've no idea what other fish you have or would like, but a tetra like this one does limit options.

Thank you so much, this was very helpful. I will definitely return one and either get 4 or more Columbian tetras or keep the gourami alone.

Thank you so much, this was very helpful. I will definitely return one and either get 4 or more Columbian tetras or keep the gourami alone.

A 10g tank is not sufficient space for the Colombian Tetra, so that is not an option. Sorry, I missed the tank size previously, worrying more about the fish themselves. A dwarf gourami is fine in a 10g, but there are few other fish suited to this tank and the gourami. Knowing the water parameters willhelp sort this out. The GH (general hardness) is key, and then the pH, for your tap water.

Ok, thanks for the help. In that case, I will return the tetra. Do you have any suggestions on good tank mates for the gourami? I was thinking of neon tetras or platies. Thanks again!

I have neon tetras and they need space to swim as well and also like most tetras need at least 6 to shoal with. I currently have 8 in my tetra 55 gallon tank.

Ok, thanks for the help. In that case, I will return the tetra. Do you have any suggestions on good tank mates for the gourami? I was thinking of neon tetras or platies. Thanks again!

Can you give us the GH of your tap water? And pH while you're at it. A 10g is a very small space, and as Retired Viking noted, neons may seem small fish but like all tetras they are shoaling and need a group, and a 10g with the gourami is not a good idea. Platies won't work either as they need a 20g. There are quite a number of nano fish which shold be OK with the gourami, though that is an issue that must be kept in mind. Being wild caught, most nano fish have specific requirements for GH especially, hence the question.

Gouramis take up a lot of the space in your 10 G in my opinion. Having said that they’re beautiful and seem like good fun. I’d keep Pygmy cories (maybe 8)? I feel like you’d need bottom dwellers only in this tank

However I was saying 8 for the activity levels and well-being of the Pygmy Cory. A 10G is quite small so I’d struggle to find perfect tankmates with the fishA tenngallon wiyh 8 more fish would require high maintenance

So I recently spoke with my local fish keeper, and he suggested that because the gourami is not harming the Columbian tetra, I should keep them both, and add in 2 or 3 smaller fish like platies to help make the gourami less aggressive. H also suggested black skirt tetras or swordtails. I could also ask about pigmy corys :)Any recommendations?

I have a Columbian tetra, which I was told by my local fish keeper, would be ok in a tank with other fish, and although it is a schooling fish, it will never be alone.
Please do not listen to whoever told you this. Firstly adding more schooling fish to a tank in pairs is never the answer. The local fish store is trying to get you most likely to purchase more products for their own gain. Tetras must be kept in groups. Though they may get on with the platies etc they will be very depressed and st much higher risk of an early death. Please try and return the fish I’d say from misinformation and replan the tank. In a 10 gallon you could easily have 5 corydoras for example and 8 neon tetras. A tank like that will be much happier and stress free :)

Black skirt tetras also grow to about 2 inches so if you have a shoal of a least 6 it is going to get crowded in your 10 gallon tank. They are also fin nippers and aggressive for a tetra.

Last edited:
A 10 gallon tank is not sufficient space for any of the fish being considered. And having one of a shoaling species like any of the tetras is cruel inhumane treatment of the fish, period. Ignore such advice.

Agreed. This is terrible advice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back