Why Are My Bottom Feeders Dying?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gary1982

Reaction score
HI wondering if anybody can shed any light on the issue/problem i have?

I have a 60g tank with a few tetras / 2 apple snails / 2 shrimp / few mollies (all fish are between 1/2 and 1 1/2 inch) - i also have/had 2 plecs 2 cats 3 small tiger eels and an albino bottom feeder (not too sure of name but white with red eyes and fins about 1 and half inch long)

Now first to go was the albino fish we found kind of wedged/trapped between the stones at the bottom - which was quite large so we decided to fill with pea stone to solve (hopefully) that issue

Next were the eels - had them for about 2 months and all three disappeared at the same time i found the remains/carcas of two, the other has still never been found

Next were the plecs (around 1 and half inch) one of which had burried and on moving a few stones floated to the top and then on further investigation found the other beneath an ornament this morning - did look as though it had died not so long ago.

My 2 cats now seemed to have disappeared!!!

I am baffled as to what the problem is - the other fish and tenants of the tank are absolutely fine with no probs we have had the odd 1 or 2 pass away but relatively soon after they have been introduced to the tank and therefore i am assuming quite a common occurance (change/shock ets)

I have tested nitrate/nitrite/ph and all are absolutely fine - is there anything else that could possibly be affecting all of my algae/bottom feeders????

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks, Gary

First off, welcome to TFF! :good: Please fill this out, this info will help us to help you;

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Numbers are needed for the test results, often what is fine to one person, or shop, is not actually fine, and may be part of the problem. Off the top of my head, often when bottom dwelling fish are dying it is either a bacterial problem, as bacteria congregate at the bottom of the tank, or a low O2 problem if it involves a deeper tank.

I have pretty much done most of what you requested and point taken in regards to different opinions - on speaking to a know it all today - he asked me about the media in the bottom of my tank which happens to be (in the main) ceramic, volcanic rock around 1-2 and a half cm's - he stated that this was the problem immediately and that he has experienced people with this problem sooooooo many times

I have now bought some pea stone which is very small and very smooth unlike the other substance i have in there.............one thing he stated though was not to remove what i already have and more so bury it as the cycle/tank levels will be messed up and un balanced and there is a chance i will lose all of the fish.

I will give this a go unless there is anybody who has any immediate no-no's, i will hold off until tomorrow evening just in case!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back