Whos Dosed Vodka Or Dosing Vodka Into There Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

garybuk

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello i no this has been posted befor but im posting again :rolleyes:

Anyone dosed or dosing vodka into there fishtank??? iv read a few things up about it but it goes too technical and i dont under stand it :(

can anyone explaine? i understand you start 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons (~100 liters) and you need a good powerfull skimmer but then it goes in to co2 and stuff! shuf i have an airpump going in to my tank to help ???

Hope some1 can help me :blush:

Why do you want alcohol/ CO2 in a marine tank for?

Vodka and other types of alcohol are primarily made up of carbon. In a freshwater tank the carbon can be used by plants. In tanks with a denitrating filter the carbon is used by the anaerobic bacteria in the filter to help them break down the nitrates into nitrogen gas and other things.

Having excess CO2 in a marine tank will only cause the PH & KH to drop quicker and if there are corals in the tank, they will have more trouble growing because the CO2 can drop the PH and cause calcium to leach from the coral skeleton.

More detailed info will be found in the scientific section of this forum :)

My very fist tank, I poured some wine in & they all died...... Let this be a lesson to all potential experiments!

My very fist tank, I poured some wine in & they all died...... Let this be a lesson to all potential experiments!

who said anythink about wine?? its not vodka is it :/

Why do you want alcohol/ CO2 in a marine tank for?

Vodka and other types of alcohol are primarily made up of carbon. In a freshwater tank the carbon can be used by plants. In tanks with a denitrating filter the carbon is used by the anaerobic bacteria in the filter to help them break down the nitrates into nitrogen gas and other things.

Having excess CO2 in a marine tank will only cause the PH & KH to drop quicker and if there are corals in the tank, they will have more trouble growing because the CO2 can drop the PH and cause calcium to leach from the coral skeleton.

More detailed info will be found in the scientific section of this forum :)

More info

Ludwig is just trying to dissuade you from experimenting when you do not really know what you are doing :good: He wasn't trying to be funny :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Ludwig is just trying to dissuade you from experimenting when you do not really know what you are doing :good: He wasn't trying to be funny :good:

Seffie x

Sorry being ill just takes the fun outa me :blush: sorry ludwig

why would you give fish vodka lol send it to me if youve a bottle to many :)
scot :)

Scot! Scot!... You're already saying it double.... Don't go on seeing it double.... How's that Plant project of yours going.... I'm still prepared to send you some seeds of S.A. Fynbos, if you just say the word.

Wine and vodka are both ethyl alcohol but wine has more additives in it than vodka.

Vodka is added to marine tanks to help anaerobic bacteria convert nitrates into nitrogen gas and other things. The anaerobic bacteria require a source of carbon to do this and they get the carbon from the vodka. Vodka and other types of alcohol being made up primarily of carbon atoms.

All marine tanks with big rocks in will have some anaerobic bacteria living inside the rocks. They grow slowly but when given carbon they grow a bit quicker. By adding vodka (carbon) you are providing the anaerobic bacteria with more food and they can convert nitrates easier and faster. It takes time for the anaerobic bacteria to build up, similar to when you first cycle a tank. Once the numbers are up they will convert nitrates pretty quickly and keep the levels down.

You only want to add a small amount of vodka (ethyl alcohol/ ethanol) to the tank otherwise you can poison the fish. If you have a de-nitrating filter, then you can add more vodka to that and it will be less of a problem to the fish. This is due to the very slow flow rates that go through a de-nitrating filter. They usually have 1 or 2 litres per hour flow through them. This is much slower than a normal biological filter that can have hundreds of litres an hour flowing through it.

CO2 is a by-product of the de-nitrating process and an airstone or any sort of surface turbulence should help get rid of excess CO2. A protein skimmer will also supersaturate the water with oxygen, thus countering the CO2 that is produced.

ludwig, ludwig, it sounds like everyone has been into the vodka tonight, double posts and all

ludwig, ludwig, it sounds like everyone has been into the vodka tonight, double posts and all :)

ludwig, ludwig, it sounds like everyone has been into the vodka tonight, double posts and all

ludwig, ludwig, it sounds like everyone has been into the vodka tonight, double posts and all :)

Chester!... Chester.... Will you please reply to that... I'm Tiiiired.....

Chester!... Chester.... Will you please reply to that... I'm Tiiiired.....

How funny - hope that cheered you up Gary and made you feel better! :lol:

How funny - hope that cheered you up Gary and made you feel better! :lol:

Mines a double post too................double vodka would be nice as well :nod: mines with ice please :rolleyes:

Seffie x

Wine and vodka are both ethyl alcohol but wine has more additives in it than vodka.

Vodka is added to marine tanks to help anaerobic bacteria convert nitrates into nitrogen gas and other things. The anaerobic bacteria require a source of carbon to do this and they get the carbon from the vodka. Vodka and other types of alcohol being made up primarily of carbon atoms.

All marine tanks with big rocks in will have some anaerobic bacteria living inside the rocks. They grow slowly but when given carbon they grow a bit quicker. By adding vodka (carbon) you are providing the anaerobic bacteria with more food and they can convert nitrates easier and faster. It takes time for the anaerobic bacteria to build up, similar to when you first cycle a tank. Once the numbers are up they will convert nitrates pretty quickly and keep the levels down.

You only want to add a small amount of vodka (ethyl alcohol/ ethanol) to the tank otherwise you can poison the fish. If you have a de-nitrating filter, then you can add more vodka to that and it will be less of a problem to the fish. This is due to the very slow flow rates that go through a de-nitrating filter. They usually have 1 or 2 litres per hour flow through them. This is much slower than a normal biological filter that can have hundreds of litres an hour flowing through it.

CO2 is a by-product of the de-nitrating process and an airstone or any sort of surface turbulence should help get rid of excess CO2. A protein skimmer will also supersaturate the water with oxygen, thus countering the CO2 that is produced.

Thanks colin !

OMG I have had to go and lay down in a darkened room,

Mines a double two, too, no ice, can't water it down :drink:

Mines a double two, too, no ice, can't water it down :drink:

:band:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back