Who Knew Shrimp Could Produce So Much Poo :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hanny93

Fish Herder
Reaction score
EW!

Just done a 25% WC aswell gravel vaccing to try and get rid of it but there seems to be just as much as there was before the vac! Anyone got any tips to get rid of it short of gravel vaccing every day (or powerheads as im trying to reduce the amount of equipment in the tank, and i cant afford it :D

My best tip would be; go and have a look at your local river and see the amount of crud that's in it! Ok, it has a constant flow of water; but that's what your water changes do.

Fish tanks will never, and should not be, pristine; if you have too much poop, then reduce your feeding or your stocking or have more live plants :)

Gravel vac is the only way for me. At least you know your getting rid of it then.

Oh i know its disgusting, and ie never ever kept pristine tanks with super clean sand etc, its just in the past two days the sand is covered in little black specks, the fish poo isnt an issue, just the shrimp! Everyone says they have such a small bioload, i dont think so!

More live plantsa im working on, im looking at getting a glosso carpet or a dwarf sag carpet!

I was too suprised with the amount of poo shrimp produce, i dont even feed them directly either... Your best bet is a powerhead, i know you cant afford it but you can get them for around a tenner on eBay

I dont feed them directly either!
Do you really think it'l make a difference? Won't it just mess up the sand and the plants?

No, as long as its not too powerful, how big is your tank?

Hmm would need to be pretty small, might be worth a look on ebay. 200 lph or so

You sure its the shrimp? i have had about 150 in my 90litre before i got rid of some and it has very light coloured sand and i only vac monthly ive never noticed shrimp poo at all lol i have 7 corydoras in there though maybe they stir it all up into the filter.

Yes im sure its the shrimp :)

I used to have cories in my old setup and since i got rid of them, the sand is noticeably dirtier. :(

Can't find any 200lph powerheads whatsoever! Gonna have a proper search tomorrow when im not knackered and watching C4's comedy gala :D

Ignore it? lol I have a 15 gallon with about 50 shrimp and it is unfiltered and never gets vacuuming just water changes. Never really notice much build up and there are 25 fish in there too.

Meh I dont like it just being speckly on the front :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back