Who Keeps Eating My Guppies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TR12

Reaction score
Hi

I recently inherited a tank from my partner's parents, the tank and tank water were well established (she'd had the tank for six years, seemed pretty clued up on fish keeping, and transported all water already in the tank with the tank to my house). At the time it had one ancient neon tetra in it, 2 bala sharks and a common pleco that was far too big for the tank (60 liters). We found Frank (the pleco) a new home and I left the tank for a few weeks before restocking.

I have now had the following fish for three months:

2 bala sharks
1 very old neon tetra

6 black widow tetra
9 danio
1 platy
sultan pleco

Last week I purchased 4 male guppys and over the following week I woke up to one dying every morning, it's tail had been chewed off. I didn't have any spare tanks/ heaters so I planted some more plants in the hope that they could hide from who ever was attacking them...

Can anyone shed some light on who is eating my guppies or what is going on? I thought the combination of fish would be ok as I asked in store before buying the guppys.

Thanks for any help.

T

Most likely the Bala's They can be pretty agressive. And there in a tank seriously too small for them! They get BIG!!!!

Thanks, I will look into finding them a new home.

I agree, the Balas need to be re-homed and are probably the culprits but just to keep talking about it there is also the potential for several others in there to be contributing. I find black widows (aka black skirts or simply blacks) can be downright mean sometimes, even though one has the requisite minimum, as in this case. Another possibility is that any time you drop almost any tetra below minimum shoal you can find some aggression and old neons are no exception, they can give a nasty chomp! Even the single platy, if it's a male with no females could do some significant harassment of smaller guppies. All in all you have any number of potential causes. But I do agree that the Bala problem would be the first priority to tackle.

~~waterdrop~~

As said above, the bala sharks (who should be in groups of 6minimum) or the black widdows. The danios need more room than a 60ltr too. I think its a 3 ft tank they need if I remember correctly. I wouldn't put any plec in a 60ltr either. As it stands I think your overstocked as it is and the balas will need loads more room.

Thanks guys, like I said I inherited the sharks so I will find them a nice new home, I already re-homed Frank the plec because I could see that the tank was way to small for him. If I am over stocked then I will obviously not but any more guppies. I'll see if I can find a nice home for either the danios or the tetras. I did ask at the pet shop before I purchased new fish but shan't believe them in future.

Thanks again

i have a 65 litter put 3 balas inn and the found out how big they grow and how much room they need reson i ended up with them is the shop did not tell me i had to find out my self they said ophhhh yhhh they will be fine yeah right!............ now i have a 4 foot 175 liter for them and that will be too small in time so ill be going bigger for them........... defo iver bigger tank or rehome :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back