White Spot? Ich?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Demi-Leigh Lewis

Reaction score
Hiya,

Need some advice.

I have a little black moor named Gypsy. Originally she was in a tank with another black moor named Kennith. He ended up becoming ill I believe it was some mix of ich and white spot but soon as I saw any sign of it I removed him from the tank and treated him and he didnā€™t make it sadly as he was that small it just took over hIā€™m. This was 3 weeks ago. Gypsy had no sign of having white spot or anything.

I got a bigger tank just over 100l and some new fish. Another black moor named Shark Bait and telescope named Magma and a fancy goldfish named Flash. I had tank set up and all ready for them. I transferred them all at the same time and followed protocol added none of their old aquarium water in etc.

But now Gypsy looks like she has white blemish with the tiniest bubbles attached on her body. (Zoom in from photo attached). And Iā€™m just a bit worried it be what Kennith had or I might be just worried for no reason I do not know. She is eating as normal and moving around and exploring the tank as normal.

I donā€™t know what to do? Could I have some advice please.

Tank info: 100l (tad bit bigger) 4 fish in total temp: 24.7/8 has heater and U2 fluvial filter and two air stone pumps.

IMG_5509.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Whitespot and Ich are the same thing. Ich is short for Ichthyophthirius, which is the scientific name for whitespot. Whitespot and ich are easier to say. :)

----------------------
Can you post another picture taken from the side. I just want a nice clear side view of the fish when it is level in the water and not on a funny angle.

----------------------
If you are transferring fish from a small tank to a bigger tank, you simply set up the new tank with gravel, ornaments, etc. Fill the new tank with water form the old tank. Move the fish and old filter into the new tank. Set up the new filter. Top the new tank up with dechlorinated water, and your done.

----------------------
How long has this new tank been set up for?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

----------------------
If fish have fine bubbles sticking to them, they are producing excess mucous, which is normally caused by poor water quality. Get your water tested and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks or until the problem is identified or resolved.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Hi,

I tested a few days before entering them in and the PH level was 7.5 I think round that which I was told was healthy from my local Aquarian facility. Ammonia is 0.

I can try and get a better photo of her, it has seemed to be smaller now? I donā€™t know if thatā€™s good [emoji30]

And I shall take a read of what you have shown me on that leaflet. Itā€™s strange all the others in the tank are just fine. And she is eating just fine to which keeps me in hope.

Oh sorry forgot to add. The tank was set up for roughly 1 week and 3 days. Before I introduced all the fish at the same time without old Aqua from bags.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Whitespot and Ich are the same thing. Ich is short for Ichthyophthirius, which is the scientific name for whitespot. Whitespot and ich are easier to say. :)

----------------------
Can you post another picture taken from the side. I just want a nice clear side view of the fish when it is level in the water and not on a funny angle.

----------------------
If you are transferring fish from a small tank to a bigger tank, you simply set up the new tank with gravel, ornaments, etc. Fill the new tank with water form the old tank. Move the fish and old filter into the new tank. Set up the new filter. Top the new tank up with dechlorinated water, and your done.

----------------------
How long has this new tank been set up for?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

----------------------
If fish have fine bubbles sticking to them, they are producing excess mucous, which is normally caused by poor water quality. Get your water tested and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks or until the problem is identified or resolved.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

04433520486b0f175628e5380d5c3377.jpg
IMG_5523.jpg

What's all the white stuff in the pictures, air bubbles or something else?

The fish is skinny and looks unhappy. What are you feeding the fish?

Is the ammonia 0 today, or was that from before you put the fish in?

Itā€™s bubbles from the air pump. They had flakes today and tomorrow they get some mashed peas tomorrow

What's all the white stuff in the pictures, air bubbles or something else?

The fish is skinny and looks unhappy. What are you feeding the fish?

Is the ammonia 0 today, or was that from before you put the fish in?

And before I put them in.

There's a possibility there is an ammonia problem in the water and that is stressing the fish, which is causing them to produce excess mucous and the bubbles stick to that. I would do big daily water changes until you can get the water tested and we work out what is going on.

You can feed the fish frozen (but defrosted) foods too and fancy goldfish do much better if they get some decent food a few times a week. I used marine mix (prawn, fish and squid blended up) or raw prawn/ shrimp. I remove the head, shell and gut (thin black tube) from the prawn and throw those bits away. Then use a pr of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into small pieces. Offer 1 or 2 bits at a time and let the fish eat as much as they want. Then remove uneaten food and don't feed them until the following day. However, before you offer frozen foods, get the water tested because frozen foods cause massive ammonia spikes that can kill the fish if the filter is not running properly.

Okay, I will get some more testing stuff soon as and let you know the results. I tend to feed them defrosted lettuce and peas at least twice a week and flakes when I havenā€™t got any in the house. But will take that prawn fish advice on board.

Totally freaks me out that fish eat fish for a second then [emoji23]

Thank You for your help so far :) x

I agree that your black moor is too skinny. Try a good high quality fish food. I breed black moors and feed them New Life Spectrum goldfish color enhancing food and Rapashy Solid Gold Gel Food. Very easy to make and very good for them. You need to test your water ASAP. Did you cycle your tank first? Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle and the importance of cycling the tank first. A tank normally takes at least 4-6 weeks to cycle and grow the needed beneficial bacteria. Your fish may be swimming in toxic water

Iā€™ve notice that the other black moor in my tank is not letting my other black moor Gypsy eat her food. All the others donā€™t seem to be showing this behaviour.

I will get the water tested today. Just cause I canā€™t drive have to wait for my partner to finish work.

Iā€™ve done what was said and changed the water. She is still active, just bar this other black moor not letting her eat almost bathing her out of the way. Any advice on that do I need to separate her? And she came skinny from the aquriam I was hoping to feed her up as she looked out of place in her old tank.

Iā€™ve given them lettuce today with a little bit of chopped up algae wafer

[emoji4]

I did cycle the tank, and the first couple of tests I did it said it was okay had a 7.5 on Ph and 0 on Annomia from what I remember then a day or two added the fishes in all together. All the others seem good itā€™s just gypsy.

But she was like this in her other tank shying away from the other fish.

Normally I would say feed the fish 3-5 times per day and put food at both ends of the tank so they can all get some. However, if the tank has not cycled, or there is an ammonia or nitrite issue, feeding the fish that often will only cause more water quality problems.

If the water is good and there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and the nitrate is less than 20ppm, then try feeding them more often. Do a 75% water change every day or two to compensate for the extra nutrients from the extra food.

Tested twice today.

PH - 7.5
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
GH - 180
KH - 180

Those results stayed the same.

Ammonia - test 1 result was 1.0 test 2 result was 0.5 and will test again tomorrow

I put treatment and water change between test 1 and two to make it drop 4 hours gap for treatment and test.

Regards to food, Iā€™ve fed tad bit less tonight because of ammonia levels

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back