White Grub look alike in Tropical fish tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ruby565

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm pretty new to owning a tropical fish tank, ive always had cold water fish, I bought a pre-used fish tank with all the items and fish,
the fish that came with it are: 2 albino catfish, 2 snails, 3 clown loaches, 2 plecos, 4 gouramis, 1 zebra catfish and 5 head and taillight tetra, its been the second day since ive owned this fish tank and last night I noticed this tear drop shape white grub floating to the top, I believe that it is not a fish egg, but apart from that I have no clue what it could be, has anyone got any ideas? is it harmful? is it a parasite?
kind regards
Ruby
tank.jpg

I can't tell exactly what it is, but it's unlikely to be anything to worry about. Remove it and keep your eyes open for any more.

How big is the tank? You've got a lot of fish that grow very large. It seems to be the case that second hand tanks always seem to come with the most inappropriate fish :( You're probably going to have to rehome some of them.

Looks like a planaria worm to me, and the predatory type too, they are generally present in tanks with poor water quality and a polluted substrate, remove and dispose as you see fit and clean the substrate thoroughly, do not over feed. It's likely there are others if you have one.

thanks for your replies, The tank is 100L, yeah some of the fish look quite grown too so looks like I will have to rehome them, since I got them I only feed twice a day and I make sure that all the food has been ate.
only one has appeared so far, do you think it will be best if I replace all the stones/gravel with new just ensure no more?

Looks like a planaria worm to me, and the predatory type too

Oh, I've never seen one of those before, thank you for the info!

I wouldn't replace the stones or gravel; they might be covered with good bacteria that helps the water stay safe. Do you have a gravel cleaner or syphon? A few, daily water changes with gravel cleaning would be my recommendation. You don't want to change too much water, too quickly in overstocked, neglected tanks (I'm not blaming you! It's an all too common situation with second hand set ups!), as the fish can get used to the old, bad water, and become shocked if too much fresh water is added.

Could you get some pictures of the fish so we can positively identify which ones need rehoming? The clown loach have to go, I'm afraid; they get to a foot long, if looked after properly, and need to be kept in shoals of at least six. The plecs might also be an issue, but there are hundreds of species known colloquially as 'plecos' and not all of them grow big.

How big is that thing?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back