White Fluffy / Fuzzy Algae

PygmyMitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i have added some driftwood to my tank about 5 days ago. The drift wood was sat in a bucket of water for a week beforehand. I have used this driftwood in my tank in the past, and dont remember having any previous problems with it.

However it has this white fluffy / fuzzy algae growing to it. I have just removed the majority of it by pulling it using some long aquarium tweezers, but there is still small amount on the wood i was unable to pull off.

I need help in identifying the type of algae it is, and the best way to get rid of it, or at least control it.
254F35E2-ACC9-4A75-AEE1-E65849D8193C.jpeg
CA0A6B19-1386-4F36-9DF4-144FE10DC13E.jpeg
79B082F7-DA00-4377-9515-9A0823E46D57.jpeg

That is more likely to be a fungus. If you had the wood in an aquarium previously, did you ever see this on it? And presumably you had no fish issues (increased, respiration, lethargy, leading to death)? Some species of fungus from wood is toxic, but much is not. Clean off what you can though.

That is more likely to be a fungus. If you had the wood in an aquarium previously, did you ever see this on it? And presumably you had no fish issues (increased, respiration, lethargy, leading to death)? Some species of fungus from wood is toxic, but much is not. Clean off what you can though.
I donā€™t recall it being on the wood in the past. I donā€™t remember seeing any change in the fishes behaviour or breathing. I have removed the majority of it. Is there any medication I can add to remove it ?

I donā€™t recall it being on the wood in the past. I donā€™t remember seeing any change in the fishes behaviour or breathing. I have removed the majority of it. Is there any medication I can add to remove it ?

No. If this is fungus, it comes from the inside of the wood. It can take months to appear sometimes. But there is no way to kill it in the wood as anything used will leech out and be even worse. So long as it is not toxic, it is not a problem.

No. If this is fungus, it comes from the inside of the wood. It can take months to appear sometimes. But there is no way to kill it in the wood as anything used will leech out and be even worse. So long as it is not toxic, it is not a problem.
okay thanks Byron! I will just do my best to keep on top of removing it.

Looks like spider wood which is prone to fungus. While spider wood can have a toxic fungus this is unlikely in your case as, if so, you would soon have dead or sick fish.
Thanks Jay! is it likely to kill off my plants ?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back