White dots on plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

The Big Figfetti

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve noticed two new plants I recently added have formed some sort of white dots. Itā€™s also on another plant in the tank that I donā€™t think is doing so well.
Hope these pictures help. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 705AF249-EA23-4E61-B954-BA85CCCED526.jpeg
    705AF249-EA23-4E61-B954-BA85CCCED526.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 35
  • CDC860DB-2C4F-47A2-8E0D-69C8134EEEE7.jpeg
    CDC860DB-2C4F-47A2-8E0D-69C8134EEEE7.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 37
  • FCDC4C5C-D2F4-4DF9-ABD0-18721ACBD3E3.jpeg
    FCDC4C5C-D2F4-4DF9-ABD0-18721ACBD3E3.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 36
  • AC1467FF-8054-46F2-A45F-50D28CB82EBF.jpeg
    AC1467FF-8054-46F2-A45F-50D28CB82EBF.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 38
From the photos when you zoom in, it kinda just looks like air bubbles...

Iā€™ve noticed two new plants I recently added have formed some sort of white dots. Itā€™s also on another plant in the tank that I donā€™t think is doing so well.
Hope these pictures help. Any ideas?
if they are new, they might need time to adjust.
they look emersed grown, and will need to replace their emersed leaves with submersed leaves.
what are the species of the two new plants you added?
i've never seen anything like them :)

if they are new, they might need time to adjust.
they look emersed grown, and will need to replace their emersed leaves with submersed leaves.
what are the species of the two new plants you added?
i've never seen anything like them :)
Thank you! I know the two on the right are lobelia cardinalis. I canā€™t remember the name of the other one, I think itā€™s a cardinal plant though, but when I got it, it had pretty green on top and purple underneath the leaves. Itā€™s become quite soft and doesnā€™t look like itā€™s going well. So Iā€™m hoping the new stronger lights might help.

What does it mean that they have to replace their leaves with submersed leaves? Will the whole plant look like itā€™s dying or falling apart, but grow back?

This is my first time with a planted tank. Learning as I go.

Thank you! I know the two on the right are lobelia cardinalis. I canā€™t remember the name of the other one, I think itā€™s a cardinal plant though, but when I got it, it had pretty green on top and purple underneath the leaves. Itā€™s become quite soft and doesnā€™t look like itā€™s going well. So Iā€™m hoping the new stronger lights might help.

What does it mean that they have to replace their leaves with submersed leaves? Will the whole plant look like itā€™s dying or falling apart, but grow back?

This is my first time with a planted tank. Learning as I go.
nice, the flowers are really pretty out of water as well
mostly the leaves will turn brown and wilt away, and the stem will stay to grow new leaves
the new leaves should look softer
yes, that is what happens sometimes

Do you have any snails in the tank? They kinda look like snail eggs to me. I have nerites and the females leave eggs EVERYWHERE. Itā€™s a bit ridiculous. They wonā€™t hatch unless you add salt to the tank, so in freshwater tanks they just kinda build up. Hard to get rid of on plants and decorations but they can be removed with a razor from the glass.

Well, Iā€™ve checked the plants. They are super super soft all the way through. They donā€™t feel like what they did when I first got them. Pretty sure theyā€™re dead or dying and decaying.
Could dying plants be adding to the ammonia load in the tank?

Iā€™m worried that several of the new plants are dying and Iā€™m not sure what to do. Take them out?
I know I need plants to do this tank because itā€™s a low tech tank.

What are the best, hard to kill, easy to keep, fast growing plants? Iā€™ve got to get some plants to do well and help me establish the tank. :(

Dead plant bits can add to the bad bio load of a tank. You can trim off the dead/sick parts and see if that makes the plant revive.

As for easy plants to keep:
Java moss (can get dirty tho)
Amazon swords
Java fern (very very easy. Mine are very big with no special care.)
Anubis (when Cory catfish sleep on the leafs itā€™s heartmelting, this is the plant that while alive in my tanks it doesnā€™t really thrive.)
Corkscrew vallisneria (gets REALLY tall though. I have them in my 55 g and I need to trim their height down every now and then. Propagate quickly.)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back