The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Seb2502

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Iā€™m moving my fish from my current 20 gallon aquarium to a larger 75 gallon aquarium once my brother gets rid of the last of his cichlids.

Im planning on doing an overgrown type planted tank with the 75 gallon. As well as a similar style with the 20 gallon. However Iā€™m unsure about what to stock the 20 gallon with. I have a colony of blue velvet shrimp in a 5 gallon and I was thinking of maybe adding a few adults.

With all that being said. Im torn between adding White Cloud Mountain minnows or Celestial Pearl danios.

It would more or less be a species only tank besides the shrimp and maybe a pair of bristle nose plecos or some otocinclus.

Iā€™ve done quite a bit of research on both and I think whichever I decide, I would likely breed them. Iā€™m mainly torn on appearance alone at this point. Iā€™d like to hear any opinions please.

Also if anyone cares to know about the fish going into the 75 gallon feel free to ask!

Hi everyone, Iā€™m moving my fish from my current 20 gallon aquarium to a larger 75 gallon aquarium once my brother gets rid of the last of his cichlids.

Im planning on doing an overgrown type planted tank with the 75 gallon. As well as a similar style with the 20 gallon. However Iā€™m unsure about what to stock the 20 gallon with. I have a colony of blue velvet shrimp in a 5 gallon and I was thinking of maybe adding a few adults.

With all that being said. Im torn between adding White Cloud Mountain minnows or Celestial Pearl danios.

It would more or less be a species only tank besides the shrimp and maybe a pair of bristle nose plecos or some otocinclus.

Iā€™ve done quite a bit of research on both and I think whichever I decide, I would likely breed them. Iā€™m mainly torn on appearance alone at this point. Iā€™d like to hear any opinions please.

Also if anyone cares to know about the fish going into the 75 gallon feel free to ask!
I would personally choose white cloud mountain minnows, because they're prettier than cpds imo, but you can choose whatever. Why don't you have a cory team as well if it's in a 20 gallon. So maybe wcmm and cories and shrimp, and then otos and/or bnps

The only thing with WCMM's is they will burn themselves out in a tropical tank, they prefer cooler water.

As @itiwhetu said, White Cloud Mountain minnows need cold water otherwise they die prematurely. Basically, keep them in an unheated tank.

If you want to breed fish, do not have snails or shrimp in the tank because they will eat the fish eggs and the shrimp will eat baby fish as well.

I would keep the Celestial Pearl Danios because they are on the endangered species list and we need more bred in captivity to stop the depletion of wild stocks.

-------------------
Regarding the 75 gallon tank, what are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Angelfish, most tetras, barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

I would personally choose white cloud mountain minnows, because they're prettier than cpds imo, but you can choose whatever. Why don't you have a cory team as well if it's in a 20 gallon. So maybe wcmm and cories and shrimp, and then otos and/or bnps
Thanks for the reply Iā€™ll definitely think about it

As @itiwhetu said, White Cloud Mountain minnows need cold water otherwise they die prematurely. Basically, keep them in an unheated tank.

If you want to breed fish, do not have snails or shrimp in the tank because they will eat the fish eggs and the shrimp will eat baby fish as well.

I would keep the Celestial Pearl Danios because they are on the endangered species list and we need more bred in captivity to stop the depletion of wild stocks.

-------------------
Regarding the 75 gallon tank, what are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Angelfish, most tetras, barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.
Got it, no shrimp. And I was leaning towards the danios. However now with the shrimp out of the equation. I could do a cold water aquarium. So that wouldnā€™t be an issue with the white clouds.

The 75 gallon is 4ā€™ long. 19ā€ tall. And 18ā€wide
The Kh was quite high last time I checked
The Gh is low
The Ph is around 6.8
So the water is fairly soft and acidic

Iā€™m moving the fish from my 20 gallon into it which consists of. 8 cardinal tetras, 8 rummy nose tetras, 8 ember tetras, and 4 bronze corydoras.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back