Just bought Galaxy Rasboras (Celestial Danios) with barely any color.

GuppygirlLol

Reaction score
I went to my lfs a few weeks ago and fell in love with the Galaxy rasboras. They were in a big planted tank with just shrimp. Fast forward to this week when I finally was ready to purchase a group (5) and noticed the tank was stocked with a bunch of other fish. Seemed a bit over crowded.. but of course I wanted to follow through and get these guys for my spacious and under stocked 20 gallon tank. I notice they are practically white with very dull spots.. not like the normal galaxy danios I saw a few weeks ago and online. They are active/seemingly healthy. Also they are very small and I believe are not full grown, but does anyone know if this discoloration was due to their youth/stress? Will they regain it? Thanks and happy holidays!

I went to my lfs a few weeks ago and fell in love with the Galaxy rasboras. They were in a big planted tank with just shrimp. Fast forward to this week when I finally was ready to purchase a group (5) and noticed the tank was stocked with a bunch of other fish. Seemed a bit over crowded.. but of course I wanted to follow through and get these guys for my spacious and under stocked 20 gallon tank. I notice they are practically white with very dull spots.. not like the normal galaxy danios I saw a few weeks ago and online. They are active/seemingly healthy. Also they are very small and I believe are not full grown, but does anyone know if this discoloration was due to their youth/stress? Will they regain it? Thanks and happy holidays!
yes they are most likely young AND stressed, once they grow up and get used to your tank they will be fine.

They are active/seemingly healthy.
...Apart from their poor colour. ;)
It's never, ever a good idea to buy what appear to be sub-standard fish.

That said, assuming your tank water is appropriate and the tank is properly cycled, they should recover and colour up, once they're settled.

ah ok, thank you both!! And I know, I was being risky and wanted to give them a chance. Hopefully it works out and next time i’ll wait until a better group is at the shop. Appreciate your help. ><> *•*

I've rarely seen fish at their optimum colouration in fish stores, if the fish look otherwise healthy I would not be worried, give them a few weeks to settle in and their colour should return to normal.

I've rarely seen fish at their optimum colouration in fish stores, if the fish look otherwise healthy I would not be worried, give them a few weeks to settle in and their colour should return to normal.
especially at chain stores
the fish at my local store seem to be in full striking color
it always makes my buy some random cory or guppy :( they just look so happy LOL
ah ok, thank you both!! And I know, I was being risky and wanted to give them a chance. Hopefully it works out and next time i’ll wait until a better group is at the shop. Appreciate your help. ><> *•*
as long as there is no disease they just might be young

I would never buy fish that seem not right for any reason. You are better to just wait until new stock comes in, and the fish look in better condition. Any stressed fish can be problematic.

I’m amazed at the difference having fish in a planted tank has on their colours. My lfs has cardinal tetras (?) in a planted tank on one side of an aisle and in a bare tank on the other…you’d think they were two different species… From what I’ve been reading, once in a planted tank with cover and hiding spaces the fish are less stressed and then their “…true colours come shining through…” and that’s why we love them…🎼 (Sorry for the Cyndi Lauper lyrics 😂)

They'll color up soon. Mainly males will be awesome !.Most display tanks at the LFS's are extremely "overstocked" compared to tanks of us keepers where they'll end up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back