Whisker Thingys

jasonskillz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
well, i week ago my parrot laid eggs and got really territorial
my gourami (osphronemus) is minding his own business and happens like the spot around where the eggs are
so my parrot started chewing on his hanging whisker things
he bit like an inche off both of them
i got really pissed :grr:
so how long does it take for them to grow back to their full length again?
the last time the parrot bit a piece out they didnt grow back straight, how can i avoid this?

You need to make shure the water is very clean. The higher the tank's temp., the quicker they'll grow but the more likely infection is to set in as well. The best thing is a steady environment with extremely clean water. Make shure your fish is also eating well - variety is key but lots of rich foods will help the fins grow back faster. They do normally grow back straight if the fish is getting the right foods and not being harassed though sometimes they don't grow to the same length as before. If the fish is unhealthy, it'll put energy into fighting the disease and not into growing back fins so make shure conditions are ideal.

If the parrots do this regularly, seperate them from the gourami. Stress like this can have serious repercussions.

one of the whiskers grew back nice and straight, the other, not so much
i guess i cant really do anything about it now, or can i?

all my fishes are all quite friendly to each other, only reason why my parrot attacked him is becuase it laid eggs
and my gourami is the dominate of the tank

one of the whiskers grew back nice and straight, the other, not so much
i guess i cant really do anything about it now, or can i?

all my fishes are all quite friendly to each other, only reason why my parrot attacked him is becuase it laid eggs
and my gourami is the dominate of the tank

If its grown back and isnt straight there isnt anything you can do (short of the other fish snacking on it again), as stated once gone its really in the hands of the water quality and the fish to grow back properly. I wouldnt overly worry though, my old Pearl had a squint tendril and never seemed to cause him any problems.

Most reactions

Back