Which Type Of Sump Should I Pick?

xNOTLOCx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
The next thing on my list is a sump and then my water will be perfect, just to inform before i go on my tank is self running i only have water circulation nothing else. So the next thing i wanted was something to get down my nitrates which have always been at .15 ppm after i started doing weekly water changes. so now i have a couple of road blocks, my lfs wants to charge too much to make a sump and the sump they have comes with a protien skimmer and everything for 275$ but itd for a 90 gallon at the smallest. myne is 30 so i was gonna do one of the following

buy a 2.5 gallon acrylic tank for 10.99$, fill it with sand, snails, and then some cheat... then buy the pumps to return the water back to my tank, but i realized the 10 gallon tanks are the same price just in glass, so i could add more cheat, and there might not be a sump pump n return pump that pump out water that slow for a 2.5 gallon tank, idno i have no idea,
or i can buy a hang on box n fill it with cheat. or make one, but to make 1 is expensive, whats the best bet? cost wize, they will all do the same thing for me ...

?? and im going to get it or have it made in a week so feedback would be awsome.

also in my catalog they have a special for a 29.99 uv light to run water through is it worth it? i can give more specs on it if anyone needs em.

Or should i just put the plant in my tank, ive seen some tanks liek that it adds color, and kinda looks more realistic, but im not sure how fast it would spread. isnt it liek a weed,

At LEAST a 10g if you want chaeto and a pump. More important than the sump itself, have you considered how you're going to do your overflow?

im guessing you wouldnt be using a piece of air line and a syphon if only it were that easy :rolleyes:

im guessing you wouldnt be using a piece of air line and a syphon if only it were that easy :rolleyes:

no im not sure on the overflow, but maybe a hang on would be better, or just puting it into the tank (the plant that is) huhhh im lost a sump would be great but i think its too expensive, i have to sell my tank in 1 year since im going to college in a different state, so i want to get the water parameters perfect for now but i dont want to buy the most expensive toys to make it perfect, if i did that ide rather get a huge tank and go from there, but since its such a small tank i think i should just get a hang on or set the cheat. inside the tank, does anyone reccomend puting it inside the tank? sorry i dont know how to spell cheatomorphia or w/e its called, has anyone here ver had to sell a tank ? i think its gonna be really hard. expecially since
i love my fishies,

Chaetomorpha :good:. I'd look into an HOB refugium or jsut plop some macro in the tank. If you can find Halimeda that might be the better option as it looks nice and grows slowly :)

does halimeda bring down the nitrates at the same rate or around the same rate, i just want to make it so i dont have to do weekly watter changes ide rather do em every 2 weeks. i think hob's sound good and i dont think i could make room for a sump right now. is it hard to grow? any deseases?

wait what about maidens hair plant, or grape kelp, or red mangrove propagule,,, aquacultured, halimeda sounds risky i have a small tank and it says it reporoduces like sporing and it turns the water milky green.

You dont want "maidens hair plant", thats hair algae ;). Spawning events in Halimeda are few and far between and I really wouldn't worry about it if you only have the tank for another year. Halimeda will not grow fast or remove lots of nitrates, an hob refugium is better for that. It does look nice in the tank anyways though :)

well what about grape kelp, or that mongrove propogule, So thanx Ill look into a hob, it sounds easier but i was reading about filters and i read you can take a hang on filter on the back like a panguin bio wheel, and fill the bottom with live rock and put Chaetomorpha in it and just hang or put a light over it for plant growth, then just put filter media in place of the diamond carbon sack things, so then its like a sump but you dont have to invest in pumps and glass/ plexiglass... itd b an easy conversion, i think i would just have to get a very large one so it has enough room for the plant. You think that is a good thing to try? Ive only heard of 1 person do it but they never had problems with it. i found it on the internet from google search somewhere.. maybe if i cover the motor with filter mesh then i could add some snails and a peppermint shrimp, the largest one I have seen around is about 3 gallons on the inside. Idno ide rather hear your input first SkiFletch

i mean you input just about the filter conversion, if you dont think so i think i might just go with a hob !!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back