Which Test Manufacturer

which test manufacturer do you think is best/most accurate?

• Nutrafin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • API

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Tetra

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Each to their own, but in my experience the API Master Test kit provides me with a comfortable enough balance of accuracy versus cost.   

pacman said:
Each to their own, but in my experience the API Master Test kit provides me with a comfortable enough balance of accuracy versus cost.   
That's the one I used pacman tho to be fair it's the only liquid one I've ever used. I have had 1 or 2 issues with the nitrAte test and had to resort to beat the no.2 bottle into submission, but all in all I tend to agree with you.

Mamashack said:
Just did what you suggested and it worked dgw!
http://www.hannachecker.co.uk/ammonia-low-range.html
Here's the uk website http://www.hannachecker.co.uk/ the only thing they don't appear to have is a nitrAte checker. All seem to be around the £56 mark as far as I can tell tho I only checked the ones I'd use.

Just done some price conversions - in USA for instance the nitrIte checker is $49.50 which converts to £32.27 so someone's making one heck of a profit! Guess they've got import duty and shipping to pay - just seems a bit steep tho probably worth it if you are more than a simple hobbyist such as I am. ;)
Hmm. I have family in America and as long as its under ~£150 (iirc) and marked as gift I don't pay import tax (we got the wife's wedding band this way. Still had to pay a small pixie in import ransom as it was over the limit but considering the ring was less than half the price of here in blighty we still saved a fortune.)

dgwebster said:
Just did what you suggested and it worked dgw!
http://www.hannachecker.co.uk/ammonia-low-range.html
Here's the uk website http://www.hannachecker.co.uk/ the only thing they don't appear to have is a nitrAte checker. All seem to be around the £56 mark as far as I can tell tho I only checked the ones I'd use.

Just done some price conversions - in USA for instance the nitrIte checker is $49.50 which converts to £32.27 so someone's making one heck of a profit! Guess they've got import duty and shipping to pay - just seems a bit steep tho probably worth it if you are more than a simple hobbyist such as I am.
wink.png
Hmm. I have family in America and as long as its under ~£150 (iirc) and marked as gift I don't pay import tax (we got the wife's wedding band this way. Still had to pay a small pixie in import ransom as it was over the limit but considering the ring was less than half the price of here in blighty we still saved a fortune.)

Actually I'm glad you mentioned that dgw - I have a friend in Nebraska and she would probably do the same for me if I ask her - hmmm - food for thought!

Happy to be of help. Whilst i slowly shell out a small fortune for these, i think i shall persevere with the API kits for now. Going to custom make a storage flight case to hold chemicals, tubes & cards. Keep misplacing the damn things.

I've emailed the US website to ask if they ship to UK and if so what their charges are. Will post if I get reply.

I still use the API I just use them in conjunction with other types as I have a more specific need for accuracy than many.

Just a quick tip with the API test kit for making it even more cost effective...

You can mark half way below the white line on the test tubes, only fill them to the new line and add half the number of drops than you're supposed to ;)

Some of you probably already know this but others won't and it's an easy way of making your kit last twice as long (as long as it doesn't expire)

I was looking at my api and realised something: there is no expirey date on it. The ammonia bottles had no ink left on the labels though from fading. Replaced them.

I hate that API nitrate test! It's nearly impossible to read. I mean, are there really that many shades of orange??? Don't have a problem using their ammonia or nitrite test though as its always zero, thank god! Their phosphate test is pretty decent though, but I don't really like their KH/GH test though.

Electric Warrior said:
I hate that API nitrate test! It's nearly impossible to read. I mean, are there really that many shades of orange???
I guess you only need a vague reading of nitrate so it's not really a problem. Unless you're seeing bright red you're fine :p

That's my opinion anyway :)

I just like to keep them at 10-20 for my plants, only I can't tell the difference between 10 and 20. Guess its good I like to keep them BETWEEN 10-20!

I can't tell the difference in 10-20 either nor 40-80 which is a bit more disconcerting! If I had the money I'd get some Hanna checkers no doubt about it. In the meantime I'll have to see if I can find a sugar-daddy or a very rich toy-boy! lol

Joshwainwright said:
I guess you only need a vague reading of nitrate so it's not really a problem.
That's what I was talking about earlier when I mentioned API was good for general use.

Most reactions

Back