Which Tank For Otos?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have two otos in with my bettas in the 8 gallon tank - one on each side of the divide. I have had them for about 4 months but until the tank was divided yesterday, they have always been together.

The tank has plenty of algae because I placed it stupidly, too near a window. They don't seem to make much impact on the amount of algae, but that is probably because of the sunlight producing more and more. Anyway, they seem healthy enough.

I now have a 2nd tank, newly set up, 14 UK gallons. I was wondering if I should:

a move the otos, which they might like as the tank is heavily planted, but of course there is hardly any algae yet

b buy more otos so they could each have at least one friend

c leave things as they are

I still have the two ottos in the small tank, but both in the same side now. They seem happy enough like that but I am still considering moving them to the larger tank. But the larger tank now contains a BN plec so I'm concerned there would be too much competition for the algae.

Is their any airation or filtration system on your betta tank. Bettas are fine for breathing without that, but otos should really be in a tank with some filtration. I would probably move them into the planted, since they like to be in groups anyways. They will find other stuff to eat otehr than otos.

There is a filter in the betta tank, they have lived in that tank for about 4-5 months (it was a small community tank before we got the bettas, and they lived with platys and guppies at that stage). They seem OK but they would have more space in the planted one, and I could add a couple of friends.

Then I could put more amano shrimps in with the bettas :thumbs:

I would put them in the plant tank, and add more friends. :) The more the merrier with them. ;)

As for Amanos with bettas...be careful. My girlfriend is a betta nut, and I have one myself. Of those, I have found 5 that have a taste for shrimp, and they won't hesitate. As a result...I keep my shrimp seperately, unless I'm planning on them as food.

There are already two amano shrimp already in with the bettas. George ignores them. Terry chased them a couple of times but not seriously, so I think I'm OK. They tend to cling to the undersides of leaves if they need to hide, the bettas are too thick to look there :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back