Which Skimmer

Morri

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am looking around for skimmers and am not sure if I should go for a V2 nano or something else ?

Tank will be 80L sump 60L

Any ideas / opinions welcome

Thanks

Morri

You should aim to over rate the skimmer by double the complete system volume. V2 nano is only rated at 120L. V2 400 wouldnt be a bad choice. Or deltec MCE 300 or better still...the 600

agree with ben all the way - my money will always be on a Deltec :good:

Seffie x

ps Morri, Rob (aquialla) has a mce 600 for sale at the moment

Don't see why the mce couldn't stand in a sump - Rob, didn't you have yours sitting in the sump?

Seffie x

yep its one of the good things about it. the 600 is a beast though!

Been doing the sums and I am quite limited to what will fit in my 6" x 7" skimmer space I think it will be a V2 nano and might get something else to add into my refegium if the V2 is not enough.

out of interest what do you plan on having in this tank, as if the bioload is not high you may not require a skimmer at all.
just thought i'd chuck that in there!

you could just use some filter wool then a macro algae section. The filter pad would need to be replaced every week, but that will pull out most of the suspended particles, if you have enough algae that'll pull out the nitrates etc....
just depends on the bioload really.
oh and a skimmer is handy initially when curing rock.

Keeping the load quiet lite i am thinking a Dracula Goby + shrimp and 2 small mid tank swimming fish small wrasse or fire fish not 100% sure yet but not heavily stocked after all its only a small tank,
So I can learn about LEDs and Sumps etc before I go to something bigger in a year or so.

in which case i wouldn't bother at all with a skimmer.
as long as you do regular water changes (i.e. weekly, and on a tank that size you probably only need to do a 10 litre change per week) you should be fine.
more sump space for other kit then!!!

i never ran a skimmer on my 24g nano which had 2 clowns and 2 bean gobys in.
i now run my current system skimmerless as well, with no problems.
having a skimmer is not essential, but many people get one beacuse they like to have lots of fish in their tank and a skimmer helps enormously in removing waste.

I have space for a nano without effecting anything so will keep my eyes peeled for a cheap one

got a nice refegium 8" x 16" a 15" have noticed a minor design floor in that the refegium empties straight into the return chamber without going into the heater chamber.

So have to add a second heater into the refegium which is not a bad thing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back