Which is the better filter for 10 and 20 Gallon tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Melanie.Laugher

Reaction score
I'm currently running 2 tanks. I have a 20 gallon tank that I'm using an aquaclear 30 filter system. The second tank is a 10 gallon tank with an aqueon quiet pro 10. I'm interested to know which filter system is better as I would like both tanks to be running the same filter systems. I understand that they would be difficult size filters just want my tanks to running similar to each other. Please help a relatively newby to the fish hobby make the right decision for her little fishes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-182652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-182652_Chrome.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220204_154713.jpg
    20220204_154713.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 36
I would get an AquaClear 10 or 20 for the 10 gallon tank. AquaClear filters are great pieces of equipment, and should last you a long time.

X2 for the AquaClear, and I'd add the Aqueon filters are rather flimsy and have an annoying LED light to tell you when it's time to clean the filter. This flashes all the time on many models, regardless of filter cleanliness.

X3 for AquaClear, to be honest I've only used the 110 and have no experience in the smaller units. I believe the AC30 is the same, scaled down design as the 110.

A 10g tank is small, which means the fish will be nano-type, or a single betta, or similar. That means, very low water current. An HOB is not going to be a good choice. However, this depends upon the fish, and if the tank is to house nano fish, a single sponge filter would be more than adequate. The 20g again depends upon the fish intended. I have a dual sponge filter in my 20g and my 29g, with nano fish, and they cannot be bettered given the circumstances.

For 10 gallon tank EHEIM Classic External filter is a great choice. This filter is perfect for small aquarium set ups, it features permo-elastic silicone sealing ring.
For more details check this review here.
And for 20 gallon tank Finnex PX-360 compact canister filter great choice. This one has 3 filtration stages and water intake strainer.

Last edited:
Without mention a brand I would go with a HOB that has the impeller inside the tank. they are a wee bit more expensive but are great. having lpent loads of money on various HOBs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back