Which Heater?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

indigoj

sic itur ad astra
Reaction score
The heaters in my 6x2x2 are struggling as one seems not to be working well, I'm running 2x300w heaters but the temperature is only hitting 22.5deg C max, dropping to 21 overnight. Luckily it is running empty at the moment waiting for my Oscars to move over.

So, I need another heater - 300w+ and no more than £20 really as I'm on a tight budget. I have no problem buying off ebay and want the best/most reliable I can get.

Suggestions please?

The heaters in my 6x2x2 are struggling as one seems not to be working well, I'm running 2x300w heaters but the temperature is only hitting 22.5deg C max, dropping to 21 overnight. Luckily it is running empty at the moment waiting for my Oscars to move over.

So, I need another heater - 300w+ and no more than £20 really as I'm on a tight budget. I have no problem buying off ebay and want the best/most reliable I can get.

Suggestions please?
some-one on the forums was telling me a fish shop was suhtting down everythings haslf price the 200w heaters are £7!

PM Bluetooth. And ask him if he can buy one for you and you'll pay him back?

Or something like that.

Lucky i found a heater :good: 200w and now the tank is warm. i just have to wait to cycle it now. :good:

I got a 300w visitherm on ebay for like £12 or something like that, good quality heater.

List here, various sizes, even a 400w : http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=visitherm

I've had a couple of visitherm crack on me so not sure I'd go for another - could be just bad luck but I'm wary.

I've seen the following on ebay if anyone has any experience with them? :

Hagen Elite

Eheim Jager

Hydor Theo

Sera

Rena Smartheater (bit dearer though)

Fish r Fun

JAD

and random cheapo ones which I don't want unless anyone has been particularly happy with any? Eventually I want external heaters but way beyond my budget for now.

also.

Elite heaters are good :good: I Know you problery know this but oscars have been known to shatter heaters so you may want a shatter resistant one :) :good:

( Not as-if you did'nt got that. Just thought i'd say it so you know im learning :p )

LOL, that's what heater guards are for! Oscar proofing.

LOL, that's what heater guards are for! Oscar proofing.
:p
I Think I Should make up 14 years of not buying my mom anything. And for her birthday witch is a long time away. i'll buy her a 65 gallon tank for an oscar since she cantstop talking about them. First i need to sort myself out with a test kit :p

i will post an add up on the forums

I have 3 rena smart heaters, theyre well made unbreakable and cant burn the fish :) i have a 150w a 200w and 300 w one.
I have had an eheim / jager one but i dropped it a little and it smashed to pieces.

How reliable have you found them? I've read some mixed reviews.

I've not had a failure yet with mine, the oldest one i have is about a year and half old.
Only problem i find is adjusting the temperature , i dont really change the temp so if i do for example now its getting colder i need to take the heater outside of the water and dry the nob bit so i can turn it as it seizes up as little.

i have a 300w eheim jager on my 400l tank and when i do 50% w/c's it easily heats the tank back up in a few hours, i barely see it turned on as its so efficient. so i would strongly recommend jager!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back