Which fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Daisyfish

Reaction score
Hi! This forum has been invaluable in me setting up my tank.

now there are sooo many different types of tropical freshwater fish. Where do I start? Thank you

We need to know the tank size first.

We also need to know the pH, GH, and KH of your water. You can find this information out, by going to your local water providers website, or by calling them.

My fish tank is 230 litres and this is the test I did yesterday . On another post someone explained the KH to me... I will try and find it

Attachments

• 7986BFBF-FA98-4AEA-8A67-E0EDFC11E36D.jpeg
    7986BFBF-FA98-4AEA-8A67-E0EDFC11E36D.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 3588A3C5-EEE6-4F49-8466-0BC5BFF81EB3.jpeg
    3588A3C5-EEE6-4F49-8466-0BC5BFF81EB3.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 67
Yes I know, unfortunately the guy in the shop would only give me 3 as it was a new tank...
I hope to get more soon when I understand more about what other fish I want so I introduce them all correctly

You are lucky with your water. That is suitable for most Asian and S. American species. No livebearers or fish that need hard water. Add some more harlequins (I would get at least another 9-12). While you are in the fish shop take a look at what takes your fancy. Write down their names and then go home and look them up on www.seriouslyfish.com. You can also search for them on the internet as there will be other profiles which may give additional information. Of course you can always ask on here, but its your tank and we will only tell you what we like :)

Have fun looking.

How long has the tank been set up? Your screen grab (I think from a Seneye?) says it covers Nitrate and Nitrite but no Ammonia? Have you got a liquid test to check this? When you say you've added 3 Harlequin because its a new tank I'm a bit worried your in whats called a 'Fish In Cycle'. Let us know how you set the tank up, steps, timescales etc and we will be able to help:)

To your original question though, the best thing to do is research. Seriously Fish is a good start but You Tube is full of great content now and you will be able to see some good examples (there are bad examples on there too though so be careful). When I'm setting up a tank I like to try and stick to regions or continents - eg South America, Asia, Africa and it helps to build a really nice natural looking tank. Your Harlequins are an Asian fish so things like Loaches, Gouramis, Stiphodon Gobies, other Rasboras (Rummy Nose Rasboras are nice) and Danios, some Killifish could work. Couple of Rainbow Fish from that region that would do well in your water too. Thats just personal preference though so its just working out what you like, your water is enviably good for a range of fish so the main thing is that you make a tank you like and you meet the requirements of each fish (eg no fish that need really soft water or specifically hard water).

Wills

My fish tank is 230 litres and this is the test I did yesterday . On another post someone explained the KH to me... I will try and find it
I know this isn't helpful to the question you've asked and that I sound like a dinosaur, so forgive me, but what is this testing method? I don't understand how there's pictures like this of it :lol: I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but I've not seen tests like this lol

I know this isn't helpful to the question you've asked and that I sound like a dinosaur, so forgive me, but what is this testing method? I don't understand how there's pictures like this of it :lol: I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but I've not seen tests like this lol
Yes a dinosaur indeed. Don't you know we live in an age where we can't even be trusted to change our toothbrush without an app to remind us :rofl:.
There are some very sophisticated (read expensive) systems about - but many of the strip manufacturers provide an app - and the data is derived by taking a photograph of your test strip. Can't say I have ever bothered as, although I'm a dinosaur myself, I can still rely on my eyes for that. :dunno:

I think it is this one https://www.seneye.com/ its a digital device that sits in your tank and talks to your phone - Im quite sceptical of them too but.... starting to come round to the idea of them.

Yes a dinosaur indeed. Don't you know we live in an age where we can't even be trusted to change our toothbrush without an app to remind us :rofl:.
There are some very sophisticated (read expensive) systems about - but many of the strip manufacturers provide an app - and the data is derived by taking a photograph of your test strip. Can't say I have ever bothered as, although I'm a dinosaur myself, I can still rely on my eyes for that. :dunno:
Cheers Sean, I like the idea of it, also, my Dad is colour blind and often sends me pictures of his test strips to check for him. Might be of use for him more than me lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back