What is most successful layering of a JBL CristalProfi 900 Canister Filter (4 Baskets) ??

David Middleton

New Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2019
Messages
17
Reaction score
6
Points
3
Hi
I have one of the above filtering my 50 litre Freshwater Tropical fish tank.
On the occasions that I clean it I have mainly stuck to manufacturer's layout. The I see FilterPro suggesting a totally different layout.
What are suggestions please?
 
As a rule of thumb, media should go in order from the coarsest to finest as the water moves through the system. Most of my filtration begins with a pre-filter on the intake.

One of the better articles out there regarding Biofiltration can be found here: https://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/ It starts with this paragraph:

Today, the term “bio” is in everybody’s word usage: bio food, bio fuel, bio degradable, etc. The aquatic hobby has not been overlooked and aquarium biofiltration and biofiltration media are mentioned everywhere. Rather than going into the pros and cons of various media or the basic chemistry of the nitrogen cycle, this article is dedicated to the biofilter processes that happen in nature and have implications for our aquariums.

I can tell you that I had 3 Eheim Canisters running at one time, today it is only two. But one of the three used completely different media than the other two, Those two I clean twice a year. But the third one I only clean when I can see that the output has slowed. I have had that filter running for well over 10 years and have now cleaned it twice. What I can tell you is I have it loaded with only one media. 20 ppi Poret foams I got om the site where that article above is located.

That canister along with an AquaClear 300 gph (model 70) is on a 75 gal. tank. The tank is heavily planted and well stocked.
 
As a rule of thumb, media should go in order from the coarsest to finest as the water moves through the system. Most of my filtration begins with a pre-filter on the intake.

One of the better articles out there regarding Biofiltration can be found here: https://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/ It starts with this paragraph:



I can tell you that I had 3 Eheim Canisters running at one time, today it is only two. But one of the three used completely different media than the other two, Those two I clean twice a year. But the third one I only clean when I can see that the output has slowed. I have had that filter running for well over 10 years and have now cleaned it twice. What I can tell you is I have it loaded with only one media. 20 ppi Poret foams I got om the site where that article above is located.

That canister along with an AquaClear 300 gph (model 70) is on a 75 gal. tank. The tank is heavily planted and well stocked.
Many thanks for your reply . I will have a good look at the link you attached. :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top