Bloated Oscar fish - What can I do?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Please tell us what the vet says.

Part of the trouble is knowing what needs to be treated.
Does the fish have intestinal worms? If yes, which type of worms as they need different treatments.
Does the fish have an internal protozoan infection? Metronidazole treats that but it's prescription only in many parts of the world.
Does it have an internal bacterial infection? Antibiotics treat that, but are prescription only in many parts of the world.
Does it have an internal viral infection? Nothing treats that.
Does it have a tumour? Nothing treats that.

I should really have said, there's no medication available over the counter which treats tumours :)

No answer from the vet yet, but likely will only be an online consultation; which I doubt will give anything.

Should I try making some gelatine food with Prazi and Metro? Found those in pure form here locally, under a different name. Kind of expensive, but if it might help I will absolutely try it!

Will food with those meds ruin beneficial bacteria and/or carry any big risks?

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!

Praziquantel does not affect filter bacteria or carry risks. It is frequently used in quarantine together with levamisole as so many fish from farms arrive at the store infected with worms and no-one has reported problems doing this.

I don't know about metronidazole (other than being prescribed it for myself) as it's prescription only here.

After 4 days of starving, his bloat has gone down A LITTLE! :) He is also behaving completely normally now, moving gravel and fake plant around; begging for food, etc.

Should I still aim for metro treatment, or skip that now? He still has bloat, but behaviour has improved and bloating slightly decreased.

The vet gave some decent advice, but nothing new. For proper diagnosis I would have to bring him in, which isn't really an option (would be several hours in a bag for him, which feels like it would more likely kill him than help him).

Praziquantel does not affect filter bacteria or carry risks. It is frequently used in quarantine together with levamisole as so many fish from farms arrive at the store infected with worms and no-one has reported problems doing this.

I don't know about metronidazole (other than being prescribed it for myself) as it's prescription only here.
Gave him 50mg of metro today dosed in gelatine food. I believe he ate maybe 50% of it, so 25mg. Will it help if I can get a dose of that size in him daily for a few days now?

Unfortunately the pleco's got some in them also, but likely just a mg or two each, so shouldn't be bad.

Also noticed my Oscar has a very hard time swallowing food. He has always had that, but COULD be worse now. He tries several times with each pellet, but most just ends up being expelled through mouth and gills after a lot of chewing.

The metro should help IF he has an internal protozoan infection. If it's anything else it probably won't help, I'm afraid.

The metro should help IF he has an internal protozoan infection. If it's anything else it probably won't help, I'm afraid.
Even at lower doses? (Since he isn't getting the full dose down his throat)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back