Which Fish To Move Into My New Tank?

yabadaba

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South East London
Hi guys, my new 5x2x2ft tank is fishless cycling now and should be ready in another week or two, so I really need to decide pretty soon which of the fish in my existing 2x1x1ft tank I transfer across. The fish in question (and I know it's overstocked) are:

2 x Clown Loach
1 x Red tail Black Shark
3 x Peppered Cory
2 x Bolivian Ram
3 x Otocinclus
1 x Hillstream Loach
1 x Red eye Puffer
2 x Shrimp (not sure what type, but small & rarely seen)

The RTBS & Clown Loaches are definites, but what about the others?

Currently I'm thinking to move the Cory's as well and add another 2 at the same time. I'm tempted to leave the Otos where they are because they are doing well in their current home and have a plentiful supply of algae in there to feed on. Likewise, I'll probably leave the Hillstream Loach and shrimp in the 2ft tank. But, I'm really not sure about the puffer and the rams.

I took the puffer off a mate as she was being very badly bullied by his male red eye puffer and would always hide herself away. Since I 'rescued' her she's been a lot happier and although still a tad timid, she does come and greet me at the front glass and is spending more and more time out in the open. Really not sure whether to move her or not. I'd probably like to move the rams, but I'm sure I've heard that they only do well in mature tanks, so moving them into a freshly cycled one might not be the best idea.

Or, maybe I just move everything except the Otos and turn the 2 footer into a species, Pygmy Puffer tank......another option I've been toying with.

Any thoughts/advice would be very welcome.
 
Bump...

There you go, the first time I think I've ever 'bumped' anything. Sorry if that irritates anyone, I won't repeat it, just really interested to hear people's thoughts on what I posted :)
 
I like the idea of the puffer and otto tank - but how about keeping your red eye in there? And then adding a few more red eyes? They are quite easy to sex I think so maybe get a group of females in there? Are they red eye red tail or just the red eyes? From what I have read the red eye red tails are the more peaceful of the 2 but I'm not the most knowledgeable on these but there is an expert in the oddball section called nealemonks (I think) who is an expert on them.

When you move the other fish over are you anticipating adding more to your schools? So in the big tank you get something like,
5 x Clown Loach
1 x Red tail Black Shark
10 x Peppered Cory
2 x Bolivian Ram
5 x Hillstream Loach - Do you know the scientific name of the one you have? As these do appreciate groups like all loaches

After a quick adding up that gives you 107 inch (I know the system is flawed but it does give you a rough idea of where you are) And your tank works out at 150 US Gallons so you still have scope to add in a few more any ideas of what else you want?

From what Ive read not experience - Bolivian Rams are hardier than the German Blue Rams but if the puffer is doing okay with them for now maybe leave them there for now and let the tank run for a few months before adding them? And then add in more puffers when they are gone.

Hope thats helped a little
Wills
 
Hi, I would add the clown loach and get another 2. Add the shark and cory's and get a few more cory's. I would leave the rams and ottos as they maybe a bit sensative in a new tank for now. Don't no much about puffers.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top