Which Corys Would Be Best For A 10 Gallon Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, 

I just set up a 10 gallon, lightly planted tank last night and have started cycling it today (fishless cycle). 

My original plans for the tank were to get a female betta and 8 pygmy cory catfish. However, when I was at my local fish store I noticed that they do not sell the pygmy variety. 

I was wondering if there were any other catfish that would be ok living in this size of a tank? 

Also, I noticed that the fish store sold peppered catfish, they grow to about 3 inches. Would 5 of them and a betta be too overstocked for my size tank? I feel like I already know the answer to this but I figured I'd ask anyways. 

Thanks guys. 

I believe peppered cities deserve 20 gallons or larger for a group of them, honestley can't think of any other than pygmies, maybe try a different FS?

Glad you're doing a fish-less cycle
smile.png
Keep in mind your betta may not like tank-mates but I hope it works out for you. You may also have feeding issues as they can be quite greedy.

You can do pygmaeus, hastatus, or habrosus in this sized tank. Habrosus are salt & pepper, not peppered. Peppered get too large for this size tank.
Have you asked your LFS if they can order fish in? Or have you considered ordering online?

catfish4ever said:
I believe peppered cities deserve 20 gallons or larger for a group of them, honestley can't think of any other than pygmies, maybe try a different FS?
Haha I feel kind of dumb but I just realized there are two more pet stores fairly close to me I haven't had the chance to look at. Thanks for reminding me xD

Ninjouzata said:
Glad you're doing a fish-less cycle
smile.png
Keep in mind your betta may not like tank-mates but I hope it works out for you. You may also have feeding issues as they can be quite greedy.

You can do pygmaeus, hastatus, or habrosus in this sized tank. Habrosus are salt & pepper, not peppered. Peppered get too large for this size tank.
Have you asked your LFS if they can order fish in? Or have you considered ordering online?
If the betta does end up being overly aggressive I have a 2 gallon tank I could set up for her. With the exception of my last betta (who lived in the 2 gallon) all of my bettas have been pretty laid back, so hopefully she will be too. Thanks for the names of the other species, I'll have to see if they keep those guys in stock :). Also, I haven't asked if they can but I suppose it would be worth a try :) Thanks!

Be sure to have a read of THIS as well if you havn't already. You'll see they should have a minimum of 2.5g. I'd be more inclined to a 5g though so the parameters are more stable.
That's of course if she doesn't work out..cories and bettas are usually a succesful mix I think :)

Weird, I could have sworn it said 2 was the minimum 
huh.png
 I think I'm going crazy haha. Thanks for bringing the tank size to my attention
smile.png

But like you said, she would only be going in there IF the 10 gallon tank doesn't work out *crosses fingers*. When the tank is done cycling I'll be sure to post in the journal section
smile.png

Welcome :) Looking forward to your post! Hope you have a fast cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back