Which Arcadia Lighting To Go For...?

woodyofcastle

Reaction score
Hello all.

i have just bought a lifestyle tank and sump setup from betta (not a bad looking tank)

dimensions are

Overall dimensions 1036mm x 586mm x 1478mm (LxDxH).

Tank: 100L x 69H x 55D cm

Sump: 79L x 40H x 36D cm

what i need to know is what lighting unit should i use, i know its not good but cheaper the better...
i am setting the aquarium up as a reef tank, i would like to know which of these should i buy, and if you could explain why it would be great.

this is what i have seen

AJ11BS1M : 700mm : 1 x 150w 14,000K MH lamp : 2 x 24w T5 Marine Blue Actinic Fluorescent tubes : 2 x Analogue Timers : Silver = £310
or
AJ12BS1M : 700mm : 1 x 250w 14,000K MH lamp : 2 x 24w T5 Marine Blue Actinic Fluorescent tubes : 2 x Analogue Timers : Silver = £400
or
AJ21BS1M : 1100mm : 2 x 150w 14,000K MH lamp : 2 x 39w T5 Marine Blue Actinic Fluorescent tubes : 2 x Analogue Timers : Silver = £620
or
AJ22BS1M : 1100mm : 2 x 250w 14,000K MH lamp : 2 x 39w T5 Marine Blue Actinic Fluorescent tubes : 2 x Analogue Timers : Silver = £650

if i was buying without advise i would buy this one for my size aquarium, what do you guys think...???

AJ12BS1M : 700mm : 1 x 250w 14,000K MH lamp : 2 x 24w T5 Marine Blue Actinic Fluorescent tubes : 2 x Analogue Timers : Silver = £400

Well, first some questions. What corals do you plan on keeping? Also, does your tank have any bracing over the top? If so where?

Well, first some questions. What corals do you plan on keeping? Also, does your tank have any bracing over the top? If so where?
Hi, yes the tank does have some bracing, the tank is made of 10mm plate glass, and it has bracing front to back at these points, left and right side edge front to back and on the side glass, then 2 braces front to back at equal spacing along the tank...

it is a well made tank, hope this helps

Sorry missed an answer out, i plan on keeping soft and hard corals.

are the actinic tubes needed for a reef system, or can i just buy halid's

The actinic tubes are used to bring out the colors in the corals. They do put out light for growth, but usually full-spectrum halides put out more light than actinic flourescents do. Mind your bracing. It's not a good idea to put a halide directly over a brace, this will lead to a wierd-looking shadowing effect :).

Also, before choosing a lighting scheme, will your tank be open-topped, or do you need a hood to keep jumpers in the tank?

The actinic tubes are used to bring out the colors in the corals. They do put out light for growth, but usually full-spectrum halides put out more light than actinic flourescents do. Mind your bracing. It's not a good idea to put a halide directly over a brace, this will lead to a wierd-looking shadowing effect :).

Also, before choosing a lighting scheme, will your tank be open-topped, or do you need a hood to keep jumpers in the tank?
hello again,

the tank is a open tank, if you do a search for lifespace marine aquarium it will show you a picture, mine is the lifespace marine 1000.
i am just thinking weather to paint the back glass or get a background picture

i did not think about the bracing and the halides, in that case i think i should go for the double halide version (oh my wallet)

IMO, pictured backgrounds look tacky. Black or sometimes Blue looks the best :)

Yeah, bracing can get you every time :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back