Where to find betta rescues or breeders

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Mumzy

Reaction score
Haven't had a betta fish, or a fish in general since I was a teenager. I've been drawn into getting one again past few months! Considering getting between a 5-10 gal. If 10 gal maybe adding a divider (one where they cant see through) And having 2! It/they will be lone fish since they've seemed calmer to me personally that way and interact with me more.
First ill add i wanna find an aquarium that they cant see their reflection through! I'm not sure why it seems some can? Is it plastic vs glass?

Now the big question.. Does anyone know any active rescues that have bettas? The only ones I found through a search (which rarely works out well these days) are either completely inactive or uninformative or both. I didn't have much luck either way at all. I started getting the creeps when I saw so much about people "rescuing" bettas from walmarts n stuff now and I couldn't help but to wonder if thats where some has come from? In my brutally honest opinion it does no good since your just emptying the stores stock of bettas, allowing them to restock instead of facing the consequences. Part of their sales tactic plays on sympathy. (Might look nice on ones instagram feed but protesting works much better!) On general fish rescue sites all I found were salt water.
As you can tell by now im terribly picky! So the best way for me to always go has always been good ol fashioned forums!:angel: I'm willing to ship of course, but only within america, the closer to me the better. I would rather look around at rescues first, breeders second. I don't understand whats the difference between splenden and non-splenden is? Googling that also failed.

If anyone in this community knows any fish that needs rescued I have my eye out for a black and blue male, preferably with some turquoise or red too. Damaged fins are fine. Age doesn't matter but knowing the age would be nice. As for a breeder (because I doubt I'd find one of these that needs adopted) I would look for a dragon scale male. I'd also love some links, doesn't have to be betta specific. Perhaps some pointers on ways to find local groups since I've always been very interested in fostering a couple myself too eventually. If you have any advice or critique on my thinking please feel free to include that too.

Betta Splendens is the Betta you see most commonly in shops with the big fancy fins. Non Splendens are any of the other species i.e Betta Imbellis, Betta Coccina or Betta Channoides for a few examples. They are also referred to as wild Bettas and can be bubble nesters like the Splendens or mouth brooders. A lot of wild Betta species can be kept in groups relatively peacefully whereas Betta Splendens males have to be keep alone or they will kill each other. I have 5 Betta Coccina, 2 males and 3 females who live in one tank apart from when I'm attempting to breed them.

Our local Petco and LFS teams up with the local animal shelter. Not only do they display cats and dogs for the shelter but Petco has special tanks that have fish for adoption, You have to fill out a form and pay a fee of 10.00. for fish. Not sure how many fish you can adopt for that 10.00 fee. There have been only a few fish there so far and none that would work out with my tanks.

Our local Petco and LFS teams up with the local animal shelter. Not only do they display cats and dogs for the shelter but Petco has special tanks that have fish for adoption, You have to fill out a form and pay a fee of 10.00. for fish. Not sure how many fish you can adopt for that 10.00 fee. There have been only a few fish there so far and none that would work out with my tanks.
We don't have a place that does that right now i dont think. im sure ill find a way if i keep to local communities?

I rescue bettas but I do it from the stores. I shame them into either giving me the fish or discounting it to where they make no profit. I have one now that had no tail when I found him. Another was covered in ich but he didnā€™t make it. I found that PetSmart wonā€™t sell their sick fish so if I find one there, I have to pay full price and not say itā€™s sick. Petco will discount them though. Sometimes itā€™s just to save the poor fish and not to fight the cause. I try, but I canā€™t leave a betta lying on its side in a cup. I just canā€™t do it. Thatā€™s why I have a whole stand full of bettas.

Try looking at your LFS. If you want to really rescue one, go to a PetSmart or a PetCo. Also look on Craigslist to see if there is anyone who doesnā€™t want theirs any more.

Thanks guys totally forgot about craigs list. also that makes perfect sense about pet stores, id love to do that, but actually around here the bettas are always in tip top condition since everyones animal people around here, even in walmart, and all the pet stores keep their bettas in aquariums.
none of the rescues on facebook seem to ship. My friend has a betta shes trying to get rid of, i wanted to lend a hand to whoever might be most in need and he seemed fine. But honestly i think he needs rehomed the most.
She wanted to give all her fish to me and the 20gal but i cant handle all the rest of the fish. She thinks hes depressed but from what i saw hes always in fight mode because he can always see his reflection in the glass!! So sad. Im gonna look at solutions and look up the other species of fish included, if i dont get him alone i might take the whole tank if i can bribe my parents into it.
thanks!!

Most reactions

trending

Back