where do you guys/gals get your aquarium plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some better suited plants (than what I currently have) for my 6 gallon fluval edge.

Easy to maintain, I guess people call them "low tech" plants that don't require crazy lighting and supplements.

Has anyone had any luck ordering on line and have they been ick free (no snails and or other icky things).

I have some local fish stores that have wonderful selections from planted tanks but I don't want to risk any contamination.

Most places do have some of those prepackaged "pest free" plants but the selection of plants is terrible and they always look half dead.

Any suggestions to what types of plants and where I could order them from would be greatly appreciated!

I currently have a gorgeous anubias that's way too large for my tank but is amazing. And three other species that I bought from as prepackaged pest free just because they were safe but aren't doing as well as they use to be when I was using Excel, which I no longer wish to use do to some opinions about it's safety for my inhabitants.

Thank you!

plantedaquariumscentral.com
I usually get my plants here ^

I purchase all of my plants through my local aquarium club auctions.

There is usually a nice variety and the prices are beyond reasonable.

If you are not involved in a club. you should really see if you can find one in your area.... you will LOVE IT!

Also, theres another forum called TPT (the planted tank) and in there RAOK/WTB thread or Selling threads you can get plants, I have ordered from people on there before to, very good quality plants, never got any with poblems

plantedaquariumscentral.com

I'd been browsing thru this website yesterday and wondered how their plants were.

I purchase all of my plants through my local aquarium club auctions.

I've never heard of doing this but will certainly look into!

Also, theres another forum called TPT (the planted tank) and in there RAOK/WTB thread or Selling threads you can get plants, I have ordered from people on there before to, very good quality plants, never got any with poblems

I've checked that site out before but didn't realize you can purchase things! Will check this out also!

Thanks guys!!

I bought plants on Planted Aquarium Central because it had great reviews. I do like the site very much because of how he groups the plants by care, light requirements, etc. I only purchased anubias and moss balls and honestly, although they were fine, but they were no better than plants I bought at Petco. And the shipping is expensive.

But, he does have a nice variety of healthy plants and the local pet stores don't have that selection. I will probably buy plants from there again if I can get a larger order to justify the shipping.

I bought plants on Planted Aquarium Central because it had great reviews. I do like the site very much because of how he groups the plants by care, light requirements, etc. I only purchased anubias and moss balls and honestly, although they were fine, but they were no better than plants I bought at Petco. And the shipping is expensive.

But, he does have a nice variety of healthy plants and the local pet stores don't have that selection. I will probably buy plants from there again if I can get a larger order to justify the shipping.

that's great information! Thanks Mark!
I too have gotten beautiful pest free plants in Petsmart but they're selection is not the greatest. And they charge A LOT for them.

My huge and healthy Anubis that I bought when I bought the set up is from The Aquarium Center and came with a hitch hiker (assassin that's now passed on). Poor fella had to cycle with my tank. That was before I knew you can't just buy a plant from anywhere.

Just like the ottos, now you have me looking through Planted Aquarium Central for some plants! The shipping is what gets me. I only want a few plants. I may hold off a while.

Do you even have room for anymore plants in there? :)

We ordered some vals off eBay yesterday, we'll see.

My LFS does nice stuff, good quality and only got a few snails once from them. Its usually the same sort of price as online too :) they also order things in specially if you ask nicely.

Although i tend to buy the random plants with no label and on their own... Ive ended up with some gems doing that. My favourite being my ozelot sword for £2 :)

Do you even have room for anymore plants in there? :)

I will replace some very old ones that I grew from clippings that haven't been doing as well since I've been using half RO water and I need some short front plants as mine have't done as well since adding the wood....I think it's too much shade for them.

We ordered some vals off eBay yesterday, we'll see.

Good Luck! Post when you get them!

Although i tend to buy the random plants with no label and on their own... Ive ended up with some gems doing that. My favourite being my ozelot sword for £2 :)

Same here...I still don't know what two of my plants even are! The downside is...I have no idea what they're care instructions should be?! ha

20161118_151920.jpg
20161118_155810.jpg
there here already

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back