Whay are your fish important to you?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My fish are important to me because...well....among many things, they are totally dependent on me...anything I do with the tank impacts on them....I basically control their whole world.....what goes in it, what stays there, what gets removed, how they get food....I could go on forever.

I love the way they interact with each other and me as well as my dog and cat....

:nod:

I love my fishies... I've had goldfish since I was two years old (i'm 19 now) and they've always been around. I've always loved watching them, getting to know them, laughing, crying with them... when I moved out, I took the fish with me :) Then I got my first tropical tank this summer.

My fish have always been there for me, they've always needed me and liked me being there (greedy buggers...lol). Mum kicks me out, fish still love me. Nobody understands etcetc teenage anstyness... fishies still love me and I still love my fishies. My life = get up, watch fish, go to school, go home and watch fish, go to bed. I can sit in front of the tank for hours at a time, watching it like TV. I watch fish more than I watch TV and when I watch tv, I get distracted by the fish and end up watching them instead. They're so interesting as well, you can read so much about them, find out their biology etc etc... facinating stuff.

They're spoilt fishies... they get live food several times a week (whenever I go past the lfs). I've been known to be rooting about for rent and food money, while my fishies have new plants, new tanks, live food, frozen food....etc. I definately spend more money on fishy things than I do on myself :D

And of course I love their individual personalities... :wub:

i would say 75% of each paycheck goes to fish/fish supplies and maybe a few other pet supplies...
15% for gas. 5% food. 5% for animal charities.
i rarely buy "things for myself" because these fish are for me. :) so i am basically spending it all on myself anyways.
i spend so much because i want to make my fish as happy as can be. if i had fish in bowls and only fed them cheapo brand flakes, keeping them wouldnt make me happy.
if i didnt enjoy doing it, i might be out buying clothes or other junk like a normal 19 year old girl :rolleyes:

clothes or fish...i think there is no comparison! :D :p

I'm 22 years old. I have a 4 year old son, a boyfriend, I work fulltime, I go to school part time, and I live in my own house. I've been doing this since I was 18 years old. I don't have time to go out with friends or have many hobbies. My fish tanks (and dogs) give me something for myself to escape to.

Keeps me sane in my busy life. The fish don't care if I can't pay attention to them until 3-4am. They'll wait without malice if I'm a couple hours late feeding them. And they'll forgive me if their weekly water change is a day or two late. And if all I want is to lay still and just watch them, they let me.

They also let me use their water to water my plants :D

I didn't know how great fish were till I started diving! Then about amonth ago I bought my first betta and I would sit and get to know him and he me and he'd dance for my finger and always come up to see me :wub: I'm 22 years old, going to University and I live alone so he is the highlight of my day :D then I got more bettas and I lvoe their personality... but I htink Sangria (my frist) gets a bit jealous so then I go back and give him EXTRA attention :)

I've spent about 700 pesos (70USD) so far.... so there's more to come :nod:

Being new to the hobby I have found it very interesting that so far I have spent over $800.00 on fish and only $25.00 for fish. :rofl:

What I mean by that is that in order to provide my $25 worth of fish a nice attractive home, I have spent $800 getting ready for them. It has already been worth it to me and I know that since I went ahead and bought what I wanted instead of trying to do it on the "cheap" I'll have saved alot of money and aggravation in the long run.

Also, I would like to say that I already feel like I have made some good friends who care about me and my fish on this forum. This is a great place. :kana:

Yes, This is a good place to come and learn. Boy didn't I strike the nail on the head for this question.

I was introduced to fish at age 14. My dad had had a tank since I was 8, and I was mildly interested in the fish. I decided I wanted a tank of my own, and bought a wal-mart 10 gallon set for $60 CAD. I enjoyed watching the fish, and became especially interested in the seemingly unstoppable growth of my java fern. That got me started on plants.

So, I bought the 32 gallon. Expensive, but worth it. $300 CAD, but upkeep has been fairly cheap, about $30 a year for food and water conditioner, plus another $20 to keep the florescent tubes running nicely.

The fish are interesting to me, as are the plants. I like the idea of a self-contained ecosytem, and have more or less achieved that with the 32 gallon; water changes are rarely nessesary.

I also really like the live plants; my saggitarius (sp?) has flowered recently, and I'm setting up my old 10 gallon as a CO2-powered plant tank. Then comes the 32 gallon!

I first had a fish at the age of about 8, They were a shubunken and a small common goldfish that lived in a 3 gallon bowl together for about 6 months. Unfortunatly, due to the uneducation that comes with most first tanks The occupants didnt last long and so time passed on...

Fast forward 10 years and my interest in fish is re-kindled by a lengthy conversation with my sisters boyfriend, who is a marine biologist / HMV employee lol!. Anyway, I got a 5 gallon tank, then a 15 gallon tank, then various 3 - 9Gallon tanks, then a 50Gallon tank, and my latest expenditure was on a 57 Gallon tank, making it 8 tanks now in my bedroom. I have probably spent about £1200 in less than a year on fish, and I can't see it stopping too soon! lol

Ben

iv allways had goldfish but my first tropical tank was given to me by my bf...i never let him buy me a birthday prezzy and he never forgave me for that one..then one day i was sick and lovely bf took me shoping and we came home with a tank and all the stuf i needed for it...(of corse not the fish just yet)

since that day iv spent over $1000 on fish this year..im addicted now...i now have 3 tanks set up and a 4th one about to be set up..i love sitting and looking at my fish they are so beautiful and looking at the fish my bf got me in the end makes me thinkg of him.when ever im having a bad day i go and sit with my tanks and it makes me feel beter.

my fish are so special to me now they have priority now well the fish and he horse and the cats ect..... i love my animals.

stroking my cat is he best therapy i could get

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back