Whay are your fish important to you?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MrMashashin

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well I want to find out why the fish you have at home are important to you and also, how much a year do you estimate you spend on fish, then how much you spend on yourself.

I'll start.

My fish help releive the stress I have to endure after school. Sure school doesn't seem stressfull but it can be when the standardized testing rolls around. Plus my parents don't always get along so I shut my door and just gaze in at the tank. This year I think I spent almost $600 on my fish so far and about $700 on myself.

i originally got a fish tank for my cat................ i thought he'd enjoy watching the fish. but then i found i liked sitting there watching the fish. as you said, its very relaxing, relieves stress. i also like the "decor" it adds to the home.

as for what i spend, my fish, and my pets in general, have been known to eat better than me...........

At my boyfriends house (where I live now) he already has a cat and dogs so what was next? Fish of course! He said no to me getting horses again :( So fish it was!

My tank setup cost around AUD$1500 including plants, gravel, cabinet etc.
I would have spent at least $400 on actual fish by now. Mind you I have lost a few. And then all the tester kits and food and conditioner and meds etc about $300 :sick:

Also I like caring for them, keeps me occupied, is relaxing, something to talk about and be proud of, I like learning about them because there is always something new and interesting. Im sick of 'non fish people' saying fish are boring, because if you pay attention to them they have so much character! But we all know that :p

The only thing that puts me off is when fish die...It's heartbreaking having to scoop them out when you cant figure out why yet youve exhausted all options, they are very tricky to keep!

yea, I was upset yesterday becuase my first cory I ever bought dies fo no reason. He liked hanging out with the pleco but there was no reason for dieing.

The reason why I have fish is because of the same thing you do, stress relieving.
It also brings more nature into my home and I just like watching the fish go by.
I get into my own little world, I feel like a fish. :nod:
I think I've spent $400 on my fish and about $30 for me. :eek:

I never had fish at all until I moved in with my boyfriend(who is now my hubby). It was only then that I realized that they each have their own personalities. Since then I have become hooked.I find it very relaxing to watch them. They do make the stress melt away, and we like to be surrounded by life. We have plants everywhere, 3 dogs and a bunny that we rescued. As for how much, My hubby had 2 tanks when I moved in. He inherited them both so only had to pay for consumable supplies. Since I moved in we have scored a third tank and its inhabitants. On fishy supplies in a year we probably do spend as much or more on the fish than we do on ourselves. In fact usually when we decide to splurg and buy ourselves something, it ends up being more new fish. In fact for my last birthday I got some corys and neons. :D

It's great hobby! I got into by accident when my boss bought a tank. It helps me fill my free time and gives me a sense of accomplishment. Plus I like watching the little buggers :wub:

i like my fish because i love watching them live out their little lives under my nose. watching them all do their own thing and getting to know their personalities.

i can sit in front of the tank for hours, i dont know if its stress relieving for me necessarily, but it is hypnotising....

i think my mbu puffer would be my favorite fish, he lives downstairs between the kitchen and the dining room, whenever i walk past i stop by his tank and wiggle my fingers in fron tof the glass, his colours go dark and his tummy gets a brighter yellow to show he's happy, he gets up from the sand where he's usually resting and swims up to see me, its amazing to get such a reaction from your fish. he is like a little wet puppy, he takes food from my hand and sulks if noone stops to pay him attention.

i think i just love their personalities the most, and fish are friendlier than a lot of people!

I spend about £800 a year on my fish i would think, although more with new tank set ups etc. I think my car is the biggest expenditure with repairs, tax, insurance etc, fish come next, and me last.

i guess if my fish are happy, i am happy, but if my fish are unhappy, i'm unhappy however much i spend on myself. so spending on the fish is more important than spending on me....

What a fun question :)

I first got into the fish hobby after I rescued a 35G tank from a friend of the family. She had the tank for years, and could no longer keep it up. She asked me if I could take it, and I said sure. The original inhabitants were 1 common pleco, 1 cory, and 3 black tetras. I kept the tank on my dresser for several months, enjoying it.

Then, earlier this year my parents started asking me what I wanted for a graduation gift. I only wanted 2 things: for my mate to fly in from CA, and to have a new fish tank. There was no way my mate could come in, so a tank it was. I started looking at a 55G complete with hood/lights/stand for $360. As I turned around, I spotted a 75G complete with hood/lights/stand for the exact same price! Within a week that baby was paid for and set up in my room. I happily moved all the 35G inhabitants into the new, roomy 75G, and have been adding more fish and decor ever since.

I love my fish, and I enjoy watching them do their thing. They are so hilarious and full of personality. I seriously don't think I could live without them now.
This year alone I have spent about $800 on my fish, and that's NOT including buying the 75G earlier this year.
As for myself, I have spent about the same. Give or take $100.

I just have liked fish for a while, just never had any they're cool and fun to watch- zebra Danios

If u include what my mom spent, we have prolly spent over $500 over 6 monthes.

I was always into the hobby, even before I could look into the fish tank without standing on my toes. This latest tank was set up after my cat died, my room was just depressing and I had nothing to really interact with. I dug my old thirty gallon out from the garage and set it up, then got some tropical fish, my first ever. (well, excluding bettas) I'm still not sure if I'm entirely happy with my setup, but right now they provide me with some sense of happiness, which is a welcome thing in my life at the moment.

I like my fish because i can put them inside(unlike most pets ive ever had), they take up less room, they are more colourful, i can own more, they relieve stress, they take up my time(i am the type of person who has to be constantly doing something), and they can be bred quickly (i am also impatient). so i have many reasons, and i also just like fish altogether(i am planning on being a marine biologist when im older

:nod: I find fish so relaxing to sit and watch. To me they each have a personality. If i feel stressful i either meditate or watch the fish as they go about their daily lives. I enjoy taking care of them, cleaning the tank, rearranging the decor etc. They are just wonderful things to have :wub:

Because, my obsession with fish keeps me from having obsessions with dorky STUPID things like video games, card games, or anything along those lines.

"Fish keeping is my ANTI-DORK."

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back