What's new

What's your use for used aquarium water?

Ingrid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am wondering if any one has a use for used aquarium water as I am trying to save water. Sorry if this is in the forum . Thanks for any replies

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I can't do that at the moment. We've had so much rain that walking on the lawn is like walking on a wet sponge :( I'd drown the garden if I put any more water out there.

seangee

Reaction score
I can't do that at the moment. We've had so much rain that walking on the lawn is like walking on a wet sponge :( I'd drown the garden if I put any more water out there.
Here too. I have a long hose attached to a pump so I can take it wherever its needed. Today the end of the hose was straight down the drain.

Fishmanic

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I water my indoor plants with some of it. Plants are doing great without extra ferts!

Byron

Reaction score
As has been mentioned, fish tank water is ideal for all plants, indoor and outdoor. When I had the house with a garden, I had a couple of large garbage-type tubs outside the back door and I filled these on water change day, then used the water over the next few days to water the garden shrubs.

I also like to pour a bucket or two down the toilet each week. These low-flow toilets can clog up especially if you are on the ground level, but this always kept mine running free. I also do the same in the sink in which |I used to rinse sand/gravel, just to keep anything from building up over time. In 18 years it never did.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I’m another who waters my potted plants with it.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I would use it on my house plants but my husband would object. I should never have used the word bacteria in his presence, he thinks that we'll both come down with some awful disease if we touch it by accident. However, what he doesn't see is me emptying the water over the garden plants in summer :D

Colin_T

Reaction score
Tell hubby that most fish diseases and parasites can't live out of water for any length of time. Once they dry out, they are dead.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I have tried explaining it but the word bacteria scares him so much he doesn't believe me :rolleyes:

Colin_T

Reaction score
We're approaching Halloween, time to scare him then. Tell him there are protozoans, spirozoans, fungus, bacteria, viruses, parasitic worms that burrow into the fish, tapeworms, thread/ round worms and even Tuberculosis in aquariums. And if he's not careful, you will splash him with fish tank water :)

HORNET1

Reaction score
Frankly, I would rather drink my aquarium water than use a public restroom.

Airwreck

Reaction score
If you really want to freak out your husband. Just mention all the mites he sleeps with every night.