What's Yoru Opinion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

atmmachine816

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I'm going up today or tomorrow to pickup some more snails and maybe a shrimp and was wondering if I can get some red or blue leg hermits or if I'm lucky electric blue. I've read that they can be a pain in the rear but I really like them and would like as much variety that I can get in my small 5.5 gallon tank. If it was you, would you get a hermit or two or no. Current stock is:
1 emerald/mithrax crab
2 astrea snails

Planned:
2 cerith snails
2 nassarius snails
1 skunk cleaner or peppermint shrimp

1-2 hermits?

Thank you :good:

It depends on what hermits you want to get. I've read that Ski had an issue with some of his Zebra hermits pulling snails out of their shells, just to try them on for size lol.

If you can, get the Mexican red leg hermits. They are smaller than the blues and seem to be much more peaceful from what I've read. They also are great for green hair algae and cynaobateria too if memory serves me correct. I have both in my tank and as such, haven't had issues with the blues attacking the snails.

I don't know if there would be any issues between the emerald mithrax and the hermits or not, so would wait for others more knowledgable than I.

HTH,

AK

Yeah, unless you like dead cerith and astrea snails, go with redlegs. Bluelegs or zebras (the cheap ones) WILL kill the snaild eventually :(. Like AK77 said, I've watched both blueleg and zebra hermits kill snails, try on their shells, figure out they didnt like them, and go back to their "old" ones :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back