What's Wrong With Old Tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

windtrancer

Reaction score
i found a good deal for a 3-yr old 30-gallon tank at 20 bucks (without the hood or light).

but my dad refuses to buy it for me. is there something wrong with old tanks?

(also, do you guys know where to find good deals on 30-gallon tanks? i've already been to ebay and craig's list.)

Other than it being old to the point that the silicone has dried out, I see nothing wrong with an older tank. I really wouldn't consider 3 years that old for a tank.

i found a good deal for a 3-yr old 30-gallon tank at 20 bucks (without the hood or light).

but my dad refuses to buy it for me. is there something wrong with old tanks?

(also, do you guys know where to find good deals on 30-gallon tanks? i've already been to ebay and craig's list.)

I'm no expert, but we are using old aquariums right now (they came with the house we bought), and they seem to work fine. When and if you get it, make sure its cleaned very very well.

There really shouldn't be a problem with an old tank. As Tolak point out, just make sure the silicone is still in good condition. If not, just go to any lfs and buy some silicone sealer. If the tank has hard water marks, just fill it up with water and scrape it off with a razor blade.

my 50g tank sat in a shed for 4 and a half years when i got it home all i done was give it a good clean got tank sealer scraped of any loose sealer then resealed the tank i had to make a lid for it more reson for non was to stop the cat going for a swim i bought lighting unit filter and assesories its been a good tank set up now for just over a year so its the same as they all say old tanks are just as good as a new one

careful. a hood with lights can set you back a fair amount. look around for alternatives that include lights, a stand, etc to make certain that buying a kit wouldn't be just as cheap as buying the used tank.

That's not a really great price. I was in Petsmart yesterday and they sell a brand new 29 gallon (no lights or anything, just the tank) for about $35. Their 10 gallon are $9.99 and 20L are $21.99. As pica said, the other things (lights, filters, hood, heater, etc) are what is expensive. Petsmart also sells a 29 gallon starter set (everything you need) for about $100.

That's not a really great price. I was in Petsmart yesterday and they sell a brand new 29 gallon (no lights or anything, just the tank) for about $35. Their 10 gallon are $9.99 and 20L are $21.99. As pica said, the other things (lights, filters, hood, heater, etc) are what is expensive. Petsmart also sells a 29 gallon starter set (everything you need) for about $100.

i just checked with my local petsmart and they only have a 29 gallon tank for $73. i checked with petco and they had a 29 gallon tank for $50.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back