What’s wrong with my mom’s blue lobster

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Adelenr

Reaction score
Hello, I’m pretty new here. My mom has a blue lobster named Denny. When we went to vegas he was fine. We had someone there to take care of him, but he molted while we were gone. When we came back we saw what looked like legs or something coming from his side and his side is dented. These things move and seem to poke him. Does anyone know what’s going on with him and what we can do for him?

Attachments

• 60DD9294-0208-462F-ABD3-34933EAEB498.jpeg
    60DD9294-0208-462F-ABD3-34933EAEB498.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 7B246C6A-87EB-452A-9C29-3EC14F4B856C.jpeg
    7B246C6A-87EB-452A-9C29-3EC14F4B856C.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 9816BED3-E392-4B3E-B744-F9C1D03FE20E.jpeg
    9816BED3-E392-4B3E-B744-F9C1D03FE20E.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 79
He is probably not getting enough calcium to support his shell...
So is the spider like legs that move his legs? She thinks that maybe it’s a parasite because they are quite spiked and it doesn’t really look like his legs.

So is the spider like legs that move his legs? She thinks that maybe it’s a parasite because they are quite spiked and it doesn’t really look like his legs.
Well I'm not sure what that could be... Try taking a video so we can see the movement better and get a good idea of what it looks like.
Clearer close up photos would be nice as well

Could you get a video? Upload to YouTube and post the link

Ahhh the Alien got him, where's Sigorney and her flame thrower?

Is the crayfish missing part of its shell on the side?
If yes, then they are probably part of the gills.
If no, then there's something seriously worrying attached to the crayfish. Like seriously worrying. That is just freaky.

Post some more pictures too. Try and get a side shot so we can see where the Alien is attached.

Hello, I’m pretty new here. My mom has a blue lobster named Denny. When we went to vegas he was fine. We had someone there to take care of him, but he molted while we were gone. When we came back we saw what looked like legs or something coming from his side and his side is dented. These things move and seem to poke him. Does anyone know what’s going on with him and what we can do for him?
Ahhh the Alien got him, where's Sigorney and her flame thrower?

Is the crayfish missing part of its shell on the side?
If yes, then they are probably part of the gills.
If no, then there's something seriously worrying attached to the crayfish. Like seriously worrying. That is just freaky.

Post some more pictures too. Try and get a side shot so we can see where the Alien is attached.
Everything seems to still be attached aside from the whiskers.

did you upload the video to YouTube first? It won’t let us upload straight to the forum

How exactly have you tried?

You need to upload the video to YouTube or similar video hosting site, then copy the link and past it in the text of the reply box on here (don't use any of the icons in the reply box)

Colin is right, those do appear to be the gills. They've ended up on the outside somehow. Unfortunately I've never seen that specific problem in a crustacean but plenty of other deformities can be caused by difficult molts so that could be the culprit here. Next molt could fix it or it could get worse and end up stuck and die. Very little you can do except to prevent it from being picked on and ensure it has a good diet and good water quality.

I find feeding shrimp pellets a good way to ensure freshwater and marine inverts get the nutrition they need, which is important for having molts go correctly. Most of the trace element sorts of things that matter have to come from the diet for freshwater crustaceans as far as I know.

A side note related to iodine before it comes up otherwise : there is little evidence for the majority of crustaceans needing extra iodine added to the water column (vs via diet) to aid in molting. I have only personally seen an impact of that and actually seen notable drops in free iodine levels in the water from Dardanus hermit crabs' molting cycles; no other crustaceans I've kept did that and I've had many both fresh and salt. Plus, freshwater habitats like this lobster are used to are pretty devoid of the stuff, so basically don't try dosing that trace element to fix this issue.

Most reactions

Back