What's the last fish that you spawned?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What are Infusoria?

In the aquarium trade, the word “infusoria” is used to describe all kinds of microscopic aquatic organisms, both plant and animal. Infusoria are much smaller than brine shrimp nauplii so they are the perfect food for fry that have just hatched and have absorbed their yolk sac. The first few days of life are incredibly important for newly hatched fry – if the fry do not receive adequate nutrition during the early stages of their life they may fail to develop properly and could even starve to death before they grow large enough to accept brine shrimp nauplii and other foods. Infusoria were first discovered in 1763 and, since then, over 2,000 different species have been discovered. The particular type of infusoria used to feed newly hatched fry is not important – all types of infusoria are ideal to provide fry with live food small enough for them to eat after just hatching.

Tips for Culturing at Home

Especially if you plan to breed your fish regularly, it is a good idea to learn how to culture infusoria at home. By learning how to culture your own infusoria, you can ensure that you will always have a supply of fry food on hand and you will save a great deal of money not having to purchase it multiple times. The easiest way to culture infusoria is by collecting water and/or filter debris from an established tank. Start by cleaning out a glass or plastic jar to culture your infusoria in. Next, fill the jar with water from an established aquarium – water from planted tanks is best.

So some guy looks at his moss though a microscope and doesn't see any Infusoria. That should be prrof enough for anbody that you cannot simply have then in the moss on a rock in your okanted tank and move it over for the fry. I guess when I was doing that and the fry did not die it was a miracle?

I got through two generations of betta imbellis before I lost mine. Very pretty fish when in spawning mode. Twas many years ago.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back