What’s new (fish related chat only)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I have changed my mind. I think I am going to get someone to help me shift the tank and I'm going to do seals, maybe paint a background on it. And set up a sand bottom species tank for red head tapajos - 55 gallons with a lot of sponge filters, I'd guess I could keep 2 or 3. Don't know where I am putting the succulents next winter, but I spent thousands fixing the foundation so I can have a 2nd 55 now.
I started reading on my first morning coffee, and I liked the "going to do seals". I had a momentary vision of a tank with ice flows and marine mammals.

Red Head Tapajos are wonderful but you'll be in for a lot of water changes to keep adults healthy in a 55. I traded mine away from a 75 after a couple of years. If anything happened and I missed a water change even by a few days, they showed it.

I started reading on my first morning coffee, and I liked the "going to do seals". I had a momentary vision of a tank with ice flows and marine mammals.

Red Head Tapajos are wonderful but you'll be in for a lot of water changes to keep adults healthy in a 55. I traded mine away from a 75 after a couple of years. If anything happened and I missed a water change even by a few days, they showed it.
Maybe not them then. At least a spare tank I can isolate from fumes when I have to refinish the living room floor this fall. I can put the fish room on a separate ac and seal it off. I am so understocked that except for the 10 gallons I could fit all my living room fish in a 55 for a few days. And I can move the 10s

I got all set up for some tank repair today. I need to get some silicone, then do some testing for leaks on 4 25 gallon tanks. They're oldies, but I hope I can make them goodies.

I should wait til the days get over 10c, so I can doing the sealing outside, but that could be another month and I feel the need for a project coming on.
Whats your plans for the 25 gallons once youve re-sealed them? 🙂

Whats your plans for the 25 gallons once youve re-sealed them? 🙂
I'm hoping I can use them for Corydoras breeding, in the short term. As brand new really old tanks, the glass isn't the best anymore, with scratches, but if they hold water, I can do a lot.

New lights on the two tens
6B472C28-0BDB-46DE-97BE-B042A9DFE51A.jpeg

Mine need it, but I cleared about 15 or 20 feet of fine seeded grass and wild carrot in the upper garden. Code enforcement doesn't cite me for fish tank maintenance

I did my water change yesterday. I have a pre-filter sponge on my HOB intake tube. I clean that in old tank water every water change. I noticed today that when I put it back, I mistakenly put it on the aquarium heater right next to the intake.

Today is a day off from work. I've been calling around trying to find pygmy corys. I just need a few to add to my current tank. There's been a weird shortage of them and they haven't been available for a while. So I called a place today and they said they had some in stock. This place isn't exactly close so it takes me some effort to get there. I get there and ask about the pygmy corys. The employee takes me to the tank... And they have habrosus. Womp Womp. The kid asked the owner or manager and he seemed to understand the difference. I really should have clarified on the phone
I almost got some amano shrimp for the heck of it. But then I stopped and told myself that livestock should never be an impulse buy. Picked up some supplies so it wasn't a total waste.

3 10 gallons got water changes last night, 40, 29 and 55 (in that order based on infectious algaes) got water changes this morning. 29 hex in the office takes a longer hose so it will wait til this evening. It's good to be caught up. My ponds need done but they will have to wait til customer ponds are done. And the bees are stable. Bees like waterfalls but not so much beekeepers at requeening time.

I had to clear out duckweed from my main tank. After that, there was duckweed in my quarantine tank too. I didn't feel like picking through each floating plant so I just cleared them all out. I do that after I end a quarantine anyways. Now I have to wait for the new floaters I put in there to show signs of growing and I can then get some new fish.

Last edited:
I'm reading a response by Colin ( and this applies to a number of others not mentioned) and realizing despite my complete shelf of fishy books - I don't know a d*mn thing-

I did a big water changed yesterday, 7 tetras and 9 dwarf gourami and 4 cories and now it's super shiny and clean and clear took all bunch of fish poops out and also found some dead cories but what the **** life goes on......
Oh by the way cories are now zero.....
And one bloated dwarf gourami that stays with me for a while and now dead....
So calculate how much fish i have now.......
All my fish are 4 years old.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back