What's In A Name?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

well stang, my friends at school figured i had a head like a potatoe. (they were scrapping the barrel as they could not think of anything better) so that was my nickname for a while, it was then shortened to spud, then elongated to spudgun (about 7 of them actually purchaced spudguns and brought them to school to shoot at me with them...gits), i added the 2k as i was setting up an email address in 2000 and thought it worked. so spudgun2k

I, too, was unoriginal. Christine is my name. October 14 is my b-day.

This is a great thread! And I have to back up a bit and ask Davey Jones -- so it has NOTHING to do with the Monkeys??? (I'm probably the only person on the planet who hasn't seen Pirates...)

And I have to back up a bit and ask Davey Jones -- so it has NOTHING to do with the Monkeys??? (I'm probably the only person on the planet who hasn't seen Pirates...)

lol. I thought of Davey Jones from the monkees, as well. The pirates thing, did you never hear the saying in many pirate films or books over the past century 'Davey Jones' Locker' been around a long time this saying.

And I have to back up a bit and ask Davey Jones -- so it has NOTHING to do with the Monkeys??? (I'm probably the only person on the planet who hasn't seen Pirates...)

lol. I thought of Davey Jones from the monkees, as well. The pirates thing, did you never hear the saying in many pirate films or books over the past century 'Davey Jones' Locker' been around a long time this saying.

The following taken straight from wikipedia
Davy Jones' Locker is an idiom for the bottom of the sea — the resting place of drowned seamaen. It is used as a euphemism for death at sea (e.g. to be "sent to Davy Jones' Locker") ; Davy Jones is a nickname (word formerly used by pirates) for what would be the devil of the seas. The origins of the name are unclear, and many theories have been put forth, including incompetent sailors, a pub owner who kidnapped sailors, or that Davy Jones is another name for the devil - as in, "Devil Jonah."

The reputation has been widespread among sailors since its popularization and nautical traditions have been created around Davy Jones. He is also very popular in the broader culture. It is considered to be, even today, modern maritime vocabulary.

I didn't even think about the monkeys, hey hey

In fact didn't really give the name much thought at all, it was just me being lazy, didn't want to use the usual boring 'iainrobinson30' i use every where else, which is my name and age at the time of first registering it (won't tell how long ago that was though :shifty: )

There really are some great names on this forum! Quite a few have cetainly made me chuckle :good:

The following taken straight from wikipedia
Davy Jones' Locker is an idiom for the bottom of the sea — the resting place of drowned seamaen. It is used as a euphemism for death at sea (e.g. to be "sent to Davy Jones' Locker") ; Davy Jones is a nickname (word formerly used by pirates) for what would be the devil of the seas. The origins of the name are unclear, and many theories have been put forth, including incompetent sailors, a pub owner who kidnapped sailors, or that Davy Jones is another name for the devil - as in, "Devil Jonah."

The reputation has been widespread among sailors since its popularization and nautical traditions have been created around Davy Jones. He is also very popular in the broader culture. It is considered to be, even today, modern maritime vocabulary.

I didn't even think about the monkeys, hey hey

I guess I'm just not up on my pirate lingo! And Davey Jones, I read your profile... you remember the Monkeys even better than I do! (Don't go looking ... my age isn't on there!)

Interesting thread.

My name came about when I was playing an online fantasy game. I thought it sounded like a name a Unicorn might go by. Its kinda stuck with me ever since.

Mine is Annastasia, because I am a boring person who couldn't come up with any better name than her middle name. My first name is Shayla, if you want to feel special and call me by that. :lol:

Shayla Annastasia is a really beautiful name.
I was going to call my eldest daughter Annastasia but my ex-husband didn't like it. :/
Where does Shayla originate from?

Thanks. :) I quite like it myself!

I honestly have no idea where it came from. :lol: According to my parents, they just came up with it when I was born. Usually it's considered a variant of Shelia, though.

Thanks. :) I quite like it myself!

I honestly have no idea where it came from. :lol: According to my parents, they just came up with it when I was born. Usually it's considered a variant of Shelia, though.
It's a pretty name wherever it came from. Your parents have great taste!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back