What's A Good Setup?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oscar Betta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've only ever had one betta and he died last fall (3 years old). Recently I have been thinking about getting a new one but was wondering how I can make his tank the best. I still have a 2.5 G tank that held my old betta. It had a filter, a few decorations, and some plastic plants. I know I should probably get a heater so any suggestions for a good one (but not too expensive)? Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

In a tiny tank like that, you can get one of the heaters that has no adjustment to it. They have a preset temperature of 78F which is well within the preferred range for a Betta splendens. The ideal breeding temperature for B. splendens is only 2 degrees higher at 80F.

Ok, I may get a new tank as well, what would you consider a good tank size?

Go for a 5.5 gallon.
It will much easier to maintain than a 2.5 gallon.

I would go for at least 5 gallons, more if possible. 10 gallons would allow you to keep some other fish too :good:

Okay I'm probably going to go with the 5 gallon since I don't have room for anything more. Anyone got any thinks to some cool betta tanks?

I have the (now discontinued :/) Marineland Eclipse System 6. And the System 3, and the System 12- both which are still produced. I *love* their tanks. They come with a bio-wheel which has always been so incredibly good for my tanks.
I did look a little on the internet and I saw that you can find a 6 gallon "corner" tank (I think the back is designed to fit into a corner), and they also produce a 5 gallon "hex" tank. I personally never have liked hexagonal tanks because your view is distorted every few inches... I like the view of a full tank!
But anyway, I guess it's up to you. All I can say is that I do recommend checking out Marineland's aquariums. I've been using them for like 8-10 years and haven't had a problem with any of them- they're awesome. Happy hunting!

I find the 7.4 US gallon AquaOne AquaStart 320 a nice tank for my betta, though I'm unsure if you can get them in the USA (noticed on your info part next to your posts)
I have considered upgrading to the 320T version though, 'T' being for tall. It makes it just under 10 US gallons as it has an extra 10cm or so height, just to give my fish some more room. The tank measures roughly 30 x 33 area and is curved on the front. The newer ones come with internal filters and the lighting is good in them.

If you're looking for a tank with a fairly small area and can find them in the USA, I think the AquaStart 320/T tanks would be nice. They retail for around £50 in the UK (just under $80) which is relatively expensive I guess, but in the UK I find cheap tanks hard to come by unless you go second hand (no $1/gallon sales :()

A regular 5 gallon should be fine though, and probably a good deal cheaper too :good:

I find the 7.4 US gallon AquaOne AquaStart 320 a nice tank for my betta, though I'm unsure if you can get them in the USA
Arg, I don't think they're available here! You piqued my interest and I was thinking about getting one so I can easily house another betta... but I can't find them available for sale here in the US. Darn! lol
I love bow-front aquariums.

I've only ever had one betta and he died last fall (3 years old). Recently I have been thinking about getting a new one but was wondering how I can make his tank the best. I still have a 2.5 G tank that held my old betta. It had a filter, a few decorations, and some plastic plants. I know I should probably get a heater so any suggestions for a good one (but not too expensive)? Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Hi,

Do you have anything else in that tank with your dwarf frogs? how big is that tank? I would add a betta to your existing tank instead of setting up a new one. I have a betta and a frog in mine and they are happy tank mates :good:

B

Hi,

Do you have anything else in that tank with your dwarf frogs? how big is that tank? I would add a betta to your existing tank instead of setting up a new one. I have a betta and a frog in mine and they are happy tank mates :good:

B
Those frogs lived with my old betta and sadly passed away a few months back. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back