What Would You Do With This? A Very Unusual Aquarium!

Wow so many ideas, did not think so many of TFF would have such good ideas to be honest!

So far i am liking the following:

Put a different plant in each. 90L you say? For the stocking, Endlers or guppies or neons or some sort of shoal, and a bunch of shrimp!

Bogwood spire/pile (lots of small pieces stacked) in one of the far chambers, heavy planting in the middle chamber and a couple of big smooth rocks with some pebbles at the bottom in the last chamber. Fine gravel throughout, and pop 3 small shoals in there. I'd go with 10 or so neon's/cardinals, 15 ember tetra's and 6-8 panda corys.

I was looking at a double hex on ebay last week, was thinking of closing off the ends to each side and putting a betta in each side.

To be honest i am very tempted by tenohfive's plans.
I was thinking of a different bitope in each section.
The cross section of a river - even better though.

I would love to do a betta tank, but one of the reasons i like this so much is that fish can move freely into each section.

What else does TFF have for me?

I hope you didn't pay good money for that as my suggestion would be to put it in the bin, its just not to my taste at all! That notwithstanding the tank will have a very small surface area for gas exchange regardless of the estimated capicity of 90 litres. I'd work out the surface area of each hexagon and base any stocking levels on that surface area not the estimated tank volume. Also I'd look at getting some flow in the connecting tubes as I doubt if the flow from the UGs will be enough to drag any water through the tubes. Like I've said before, the discerning aquarist cannot go wrong with a sunken treasure chets and a diver, so given htat you have 3 "chambers" I'd go with a sunken galleon too!

Harsh words i thought, and a rash 'suggestion'.

I agree that these things are very over priced - see the double chamber ones going for £50-£75.
There is even a double chamber one on eBay for £175 atm i believe!!!???

I paid a fraction (very small fraction) of the price of course :)

Thank you for your input though - but this will not be binned thank you very much.

More suggestions please TFF :)

Joshy, wasn't meant to be harsh, just being stating my opinion, its just not to my taste that tank but well done on the bargain! Please think about the surface area thing though before you think about stocking. (Just read my original post and it looks like I typed with sausage fingers, too many typos).

Betta sorority with different plant types in each section, some bogwood pieces, sand or fine gravel substrate and some hasbrosus corys.

i was thinking a sorority also...and you could still have each section a different theme...and it would be great for girlies as they can run and hide in another section if getting picked on...cool tank :good:

cant think of anything that doesnt include an oscar :lol: so thats me out!!

welcome back josh, ive been away a while myself, hope you`re well :)
shelagh xxxxx

i would put small bogwood in each one black sand
lots of plants and moss

and have a group of these - grow to 3cm

spotted blue-eye - > Pseudomugil Gertrudae
Pseudomugil%20gertrudae%20Cadell%20River.jpg

group of sparkling gouramis - 3cm
group of ember tetras
group of brigitte rasboras - 1-2cm
group of these crystal red shrimp , cherry shrimp and sulewesi cardinal shrimps

and either some pymaeus , habrosus or hastatus corys

really colourful

Thanks for the continued ideas, my mind is still buzzing.
I collect it Sunday, who wants to guess what i paid for it?

I had a group of the non-spotted blue eyes Pip, so lively and constantly moving.
They add real movement and excitment to any tank.

Hey shelagh :D
Well in that case welcome back yourself!
Uni has been so busy, its exam period and i am not sure i'll meet the standard and be allowed to carry on studying next year.
Bad times.

Just a note to everyone, i cant do sand, there are UG filters.
But i was thinking maybe black gravel, white gravel, black gravel (when i say gravel i mean pebbles)?

Though i have to admit, i think i am swaying towards planted either side, and then a pile of wood in the middle.
To make up a river cross section.
Though i dont think there is any lighting which could be a problem.

I didn't realise it runs off UGF's. Personally I'd bin them and put either a small internal in at each end chamber or run an external in there. As someone else said, gaseous exchange could be an issue so a bubbler might be an idea too.

Whatever you do, I recommend you add a small internal filter, say a fluval 2+, as has been said. There will be very little water flow in the tubes.

I was going to get two of them hagen mini filters for either side. And point the outflow down the pipes.
You all recon that will be sufficient?

hey! no one guessed the price, c`mon Josh ive been waiting a week to find out :lol:
i reckon definatley over£55 as twin ones are often on the bay the for that

I was going to get two of them hagen mini filters for either side. And point the outflow down the pipes.
You all recon that will be sufficient?

Sounds pretty reasonable, as long as between them the tank turnover is in the region of 3-400 lph.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back