What types of fish can you put in a coldwater tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BronzeWolf

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

I would like to know what kind of fish you can put in a coldwater tank. I have looked on the internet for information but have come up with different opinions.

Ontop of Loaches, Minnows, Goldfish and Danios some have said:

Guppies
Tetra's
Barbs

I really like guppies and tetra's could you have them in a coldwater tank? Can you put any of these with zebra danios?

4.5 Gallon
6 Zebra Danios

What is the average room temperature in your house, some species of Barbs and Guppies, Zebra Dianios and others can be kept in unheated water providing the average room temp is higher enough to keep the water warmer enough for them. Minnows are fine as they excist happily in the wild in cold fast flowing streams, if you are thinking of buying any you may want to look into the Golden form of the minnow which is now becoming far commener on the commercail market.

At the moment i have 6 zebra danios in my 4.5 gallon tank. When i bought them they were in the coldwater section along with minnows, paradise fish, fancy gold fish, stone suckers - hillstream loaches. I went to the shop today with the idea of buying a thermometer but gave up the idea, to be honest i live in a cold house and it would surprise me if the water was even 18 degrees centigrade... eh i will just stick with the kind of fish i know will survive in cold water.

I really wanted to add some comet. common or shubunkin fish but i had a look at them today and they are very fast swimmers it would be cruel to put them in a small tank like mine.

If i bought some white cloud minnows could i buy just 3 ? would they shoul with the danios ???

They may shoal with the Dianios they may not. A group of 3 would probably stick together at the higher levels of the tank. :)

Good Luck

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back