What Type Of Pleco Do I Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liz1993

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ill try and get a picture later on when hes come from his hiding spot, Hes only small not grown in the 2 months ive had him, about 5cm and on his dorsal fin he has a red line on the tip of it :S

If we can't see it, could you at least describe it better? Alot of plecostomus have red lines on their dorsals.

Where did you get him from? If it was a fish shop then presumably they would have told you what type he was? Be aware that some Plecs can grow very large!

It was a strange accident when i got some wcmm, he was in the bag when i got home and felt too guilty to take him back!! so not got a clue all i know is hes so cute!!!!

no thats definately not him :( hes about 5cm, hes got spots on his face and hes a tabby colour all over his body and hes really dark green with black going through which makes the tabby look

Hi Im from Hull as well :)

Which shop did you get it from?

Got to be honest I think people are over complicating this - I am going to guess either its a Gibbicep Plec which gets very big or it could be a Hill Stream Loach given the green tinting and the fact it came from a tank with White Cloud Minnows which are often sold as cold water and the Hill Stream Loach is also grouped (a little mistakenly by shops) as cold water so could have come from the same tank.

Wills

he has a body like the loach to be fair, but the colours are different but maybe they all vary!!

I got it from sandals garden centre as thats where I got my tank so when i started up I just went back there but now I only use frisbys, they are brilliant!!

is there any places you reccomend I try next time I get some more fish? thinking of getting some more corys in a few weeks.

Is Sandals the one at Preston? Ive been there before but to be honest not the best one around. They are notorious for selling Pangasious by the bucket load (they call them iridescant sharks) not sure if they are still upto it but.... Frisbys is good but a bit expensive they have a Black Belt that I want at the moment but cant have it :(

Maidenhead Aquatics in Dunswel is probably my favorite in Hull :) Ings Lane is on the same road as well and worth a look but quite bread and butter fish. But a few rarities. The one in Colleta and Tyson garden centre is not that great...

MA gets some good stuff in now and again but most importantly they have the healthiest fish around - if not a little expensive.

An other good tip for the Hull area - Northfield Garden Centre, a little hard to find as the main road to them got closed but they do the cheapest dry goods like food and decholrinator etc around and equipment and tanks are good prices as well. They had some problems with the building so had to stop selling fish but are starting up again by the looks of things but no where near how good they were before.

The shops mentioned are pretty good but you have to do your research as some will just sell and sell until your over stocked so always do your reading on size and take note of species before buying them :)

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back