What Type Of Fish Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

driger8642

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Cory.jpg
I know this is a cory but which one? albino? spotted? etc.

Reason im asking is that I have 3 and need 1 more since 4 seems better.

The cories seem to be super active all the time, which I researched upon is normal for the beginning 1-2 months and then they just settle down at the bottom most of the time.

Also I have 3 angelfishes in the same tank, they seem to get along fine with the cories but the angelfishes dont seem to be eating, they eat the flakes and them spit them right out. The cories however seem to eat the flakes that end up dropping to the bottom of the tank. The water levels are normal, no spikes in nitrate,ph,amonia, etc. The tank is 30 gallon tall with tetra filter 40 and 150w heater kept at 79-80 degrees, also has a airstone which i turn off when it is feeding time. Also the filter is in it's lowest setting since I read somewhere that angelfishes dont like strong currents.

I also give the cories some shrimp pellets that were recommended by the worker at Petco and they seem to enjoy them. The cories are about 1-1.5 inches and the angelfishes are about the same (top to bottom fin). I know angelfishes need more room so I do plan to move them to a much bigger tank once they get about 2.5 inches.

I tried to give the angels some bloodworms and frozen dried shrimps (also recommended by the worker at Petco) to the angels but they seem to neglect them as well.

However the angels are active, they do move around and swim along with the cories and aren't bothered by them at all even though the cories love to swim just right next to them, the angels don't seem frightened in any way and swim about the tank happily. At times I do see them opening their mouth towards a floating particle in the tank and then turn away so I'm guessing they are hungry. Any solutions are much appreciated.

NOTE: The angelfishes have displayed this non eating or neglecting the food behavior much before the cories were introduced to the tank.

The eating behaviour of the angelfish is normal.  Many fish, but cichlids certainly, will take in food, chew it, spit it out, grab it again, chew some more, and so forth.  They are probably eating small bits each time.  It would be much more of a problem if the angelfish were ignoring all food.

Don't feed bloodworms more than once a week, as a treat.  They are high in fat.  Sometimes fish are fussy eaters, which is one reason I use three different dry prepared foods.  I would not rely on flake food for the corys; they need sinking foods.  The shrimp pellets are ideal.  I also use Omega One Veggie Rounds (the "veggie" is good for all fish, not just vegetarian), and Nutrafin tabs which have earthworm meal which corys like.

Angelfish and corys usually fare well together.  However, your temperature is a tad on the high side for both.  I would lower it to 76-77F.  Angelfish that are commercially raised (as opposed to wild caught) are fine at this temp, and the corys will certainly be happier.  And you should get more corys, five minimum, but the more the better.  They are social fish that need a group.

As for the species pictured, I will have to dig into my research to ID, but I see Alasse has suggested C. ambiacus and I won't disagree; C. melanistius is another possible.  Did the store not have them under some name?  Corys tend to go by the scientific names or "anglicized" versions.

Byron.

Byron said:
The eating behaviour of the angelfish is normal.  Many fish, but cichlids certainly, will take in food, chew it, spit it out, grab it again, chew some more, and so forth.  They are probably eating small bits each time.  It would be much more of a problem if the angelfish were ignoring all food.

Don't feed bloodworms more than once a week, as a treat.  They are high in fat.  Sometimes fish are fussy eaters, which is one reason I use three different dry prepared foods.  I would not rely on flake food for the corys; they need sinking foods.  The shrimp pellets are ideal.  I also use Omega One Veggie Rounds (the "veggie" is good for all fish, not just vegetarian), and Nutrafin tabs which have earthworm meal which corys like.

Angelfish and corys usually fare well together.  However, your temperature is a tad on the high side for both.  I would lower it to 76-77F.  Angelfish that are commercially raised (as opposed to wild caught) are fine at this temp, and the corys will certainly be happier.  And you should get more corys, five minimum, but the more the better.  They are social fish that need a group.

As for the species pictured, I will have to dig into my research to ID, but I see Alasse has suggested C. ambiacus and I won't disagree; C. melanistius is another possible.  Did the store not have them under some name?  Corys tend to go by the scientific names or "anglicized" versions.

Byron.

Thanks a lot for the info, I just fed them and saw 1 angelfish eat 2 flakes and another going to the bottom of the tank and "eating". the 3rd however went to the flakes, and turned around.

As for the Corys, I will look for the veggie omega ones like you suggested. When I got them, I only asked for cory since I didn't really know there are multiple types of corys thus I didn't bother with the name, but now that I want to add more, I wanna make sure that the next cory I will get is be of the same group.

By the way, The 2 species you suggested for the corys, the first one seems to be it, but if by chance it isn't and it turns out to be the other one, will the corys get along with each other?

Alasse said:
Looks to be Corydoras ambiacus

Info here

Thanks, I googled it and looks like that is the one
biggrin.png

On the cory question...yes, all species will get along fine if you stay with the small and medium-sized species.  Some of the much larger species, which actually are now classified in the genus Scleromystax, such as S. barbatus which used to be Corydoras barbatus, can get a bit territorial.  But as none of the fish in this family have teeth (as adults), not much to worry about anyway, but the territorial disputes of the larger species can cause some havoc.  You can see the present described spcies in this genus here:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=312

Having said that, several fish of the same species is wise.  All species live in huge shoals numbering in the hundreds and even thousands.  Five is said by cory experts to be minimum, with more always better.  I have over 40 corys in one of my tanks, from more than a dozen species, so I have 10, 6, 5 and 4 of certain species, but only one or two of others (usually because I bought "strays" discovered in store tanks).  Over my 15+ years of keeping cory species, there is little doubt that they like several of their own species, but I also see mixes "playing."

Aside from the commonly-available species that are being commercially raised, namely C. paleatus (pepper cory), C. aeneus (bronze or green cory), C. sterbai and C. panda, along with the man-made albino forms of the first three, other species will be wild caught and thus available periodically.

Byron.

Byron said:
On the cory question...yes, all species will get along fine if you stay with the small and medium-sized species.  Some of the much larger species, which actually are now classified in the genus Scleromystax, such as S. barbatus which used to be Corydoras barbatus, can get a bit territorial.  But as none of the fish in this family have teeth (as adults), not much to worry about anyway, but the territorial disputes of the larger species can cause some havoc.  You can see the present described spcies in this genus here:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=312

Having said that, several fish of the same species is wise.  All species live in huge shoals numbering in the hundreds and even thousands.  Five is said by cory experts to be minimum, with more always better.  I have over 40 corys in one of my tanks, from more than a dozen species, so I have 10, 6, 5 and 4 of certain species, but only one or two of others (usually because I bought "strays" discovered in store tanks).  Over my 15+ years of keeping cory species, there is little doubt that they like several of their own species, but I also see mixes "playing."

Aside from the commonly-available species that are being commercially raised, namely C. paleatus (pepper cory), C. aeneus (bronze or green cory), C. sterbai and C. panda, along with the man-made albino forms of the first three, other species will be wild caught and thus available periodically.

Byron.

Thanks a lot :D I will add 2-3 more corys then for the time being, then add more once I get a bigger tank for my angels.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back