What Type Of Filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So i have a few options here, so was wondering if you could help with the plus and minus. I have written what i think they are, but i am open to disagreement!

Currently all 4 tanks i have with fry, or breeding fish in, have sponge air driven filters. This is away to get an update with a HUGE pond pump which is going to replace lots of small aquarium ones which are linked together. But i have more options, so would like to find out what what the view is on each one and what is best for me...

Option 1: Sponge air driven filter

Currently running in my fry tank, and a couple other tanks just now.
Plus - cheap to run as it just needs an air filter - one will run all my tanks if needed
Negative - does not 'clean' the water, so a lot of rubbish will sit there rather than being sucked up and caught in a box filter?

Photo 1 below (Rubbish photo, i know!)

Option 2: External filter

I was given this by a friend for nothing. I tested it out, and it seems to work well with no leaks. It does not have that much room for media, but plenty for the 120L tank i would run it on
Plus - keeps all the media out of the tank, so more room for fish. With different sponges, i can clean the water a bit better
Negative - Not good for fry - getting sucked up etc. One plug, one filter, one tank...unlike air driven sponge filters.

Photo 2 below

Option 3: Internal DIY filter

My 120L tanks were built for Pets at Home who canceled their order (apparently) so i got them for £12.50 each! They have a partition in one end which is for filling with gravel, a plastic pipe runs along the base, and is connected to an airline tube. The gravel acts as the filter/bacteria column. I filled mine with lots of different media as it holds bacteria better than gravel.
Plus - Utilises the space at the end of the tank which otherwise confuses some of the fish a bit! But can be used to fill with plants or what ever.
Large amount of filtration, which can be increased with more air/pipes on the base. Runs off those air pumps again
Negative - Its within the tank, so wont be able to take it out to clean it ever.

Photo 3 below

So what do we think? What is my best option for the next couple tanks i set up?

Photo 1
5695_filter-1c.jpg

Photo 2
5696_filter-2c.jpg

Photo 3
5697_filter-3c.jpg

Externals for display tanks (put a stocking or sponge over the intake, if you want to preserve fry), sponge filters for fry tanks.

the third is not so bad. I like it as its using up that space. But wonder if eventually it will eventually need a good clean out?!

So what is the main advantage/disadvantage of sponge and or external? I think i may use the 'sump' area for stem plants etc, and plug in the external filter!

I'd think it would need to be cleaned out just like you'd clean out any other filter. That gunk builds up. Couldn't you put the media in some kind of mesh bag to make taking it out easier?

I have a small internal aqua one filter in my fry tank and it does the job bang on. With fry tanks, i blieve that air driven sponge filters are normally considered the best due to them not sucking up the fry. Also to keep the fry growing quickly and healthily i would recommend doing two or three water changes a week which would keep on top of the debris you mention.

The first picture is excellent ;)

Checked out the website - very nice pics.... so how come the ones on here are so - how do you say - cack

The external is a Rena XP I have the XP4 on a 260L and it works spot on - but as said not good for fry

Paul.

haha, these are my 'i cant be bothered getting my £2k of gear out the other room, so i'll use my iphone' type photos :p

The tanks are currently working with sponge filters, so will stick with that for now until i see if these discus will ever produce anything for me! Sponge filters in all my fry ttanks as you all suggest

Sponge filters are a pain,but work for fry tanks has long has you rinse them every so often and more economical

Externals are too powerful for wee fry in my opinion,although a hob filter isn't too bad :)

Your 3rd box type without the box,is good in theory,i have a box filter in my fry tank has well has a hob and the box filter does a good job,although does need cleaning every so often :good: but looks a bit more messy job without the box when it needs cleaning.

Air driven box filters, when given enough air, will filter as well as a power filter. Your larger air pumps designed for a centralized system will provide this sort of air, about 3LPM.

This is another option, and one I use as fry get larger, or for tanks with adults. I'll run sponges at a lower flow rate for bio filtration, and box filters with floss at a higher rate for mechanical filtration.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back