What to do with babies

living_dead

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a pond, its a tad over stocked already. I have 2 females and 2 males. They have all decided that its swell to breed in my pond. They are just big feeder type gold fish. One pair is around 6 years old and the other is about 3 (the female is albino) but back the question. What can i do with these baby fish?

Hi living_dead. :)

Well, you are fortunate to have goldfish who breed---few people are lucky enough to be able to say that. :nod:

I suggest you try to find homes for the ones you cannot keep. They will make fine tank pets. (Think kids........and Christmas.) :lol:

why can't u keep them in a pond, alot die anyways due to living in the wild factors eg. cats,birbs disease, and other stuff. i know they aren't wild but its nearer than most gold fish get to unless u relse them into birtish river but then how woul dthat work.... cos there so colourfu that and precdator woud spot them mile away lol :D :thumbs:

I don't have to worry about predators, I just have to worry about fishing birds out. Its really sad. I have to drag like 10-12 birds out of my pond every year. And usually a couple squirrls. I think my fish drag them down, but thats just me. I put a frog in once and they pack hunted it.... I dunno if my fish are quite freindsly to other animals. But towards eachother its kinda incredable. Once one of the dumb koi i had jumped out of the pond. I think he was layin out on the ground for 5-10 minutes before i wandered outside. Dropped him back in and tried to get him to breathe again. After about 10 minutes of moving back and forward the other fish came up and looked after I let go they swam really close to him so he didn't float back up. It was pretty damned incredable. I love my fish. But back to the point, I don't think they have any predators around here other than cats and most of my fish are to big to get scooped up. So I just need to find someplace for them to go. I took a batch of 1"s to the fish store once a year or so ago but they went out of busniess so i don't know what to do now lol. o well

Have you considered advertising in a local paper. "Free Fish to Experienced Fish Keeper" Or if a newbie calls, you can advise them on how to get started correctly. Also look in the phone book for businesses that make ponds or stock pond supplies. Call and tell them that you have an overstock and that you would glady share.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back