What Species Is This Fish?

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Probably a platy, although it could be female swordtail; the females of those species are almost identical, and they hybridise very readily, just to confuse matters!

OP
fishkeeper207

fishkeeper207

Reaction score
Yes I know its a female but Im trying to breed it with a male red wag platy and a female sunburst platy I know there has to be 2 females for every male so I need to know if its a platy to be able to breed

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Certainly looks like a platy to me, she'll be fine to breed with yours (she looks pregnant now though).

Baccus

We are not born just so we can die
Global Moderator
Reaction score
If she had been in a tank with any males previously to going in with your male then its almost a 100% certianity that another male has already done the deed.

Chad

Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
There actually doesn't have to be 2 females to every male in order for them to mate by the way. The reason for a harem is that males will literally mate females into exhaustion and death so by having more females than males the activity gets spread out among various females but 1:1 will still mate and produce off spring. Also, personally I try to keep a 5:1 ratio of females to males.

Oh, and it looks like a Mickey Mouse Platy to me.