What Species Is This Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishkeeper207

Reaction score
20130218_112024_zps2f1c102c.jpg

Probably a platy, although it could be female swordtail; the females of those species are almost identical, and they hybridise very readily, just to confuse matters!

Yes I know its a female but Im trying to breed it with a male red wag platy and a female sunburst platy I know there has to be 2 females for every male so I need to know if its a platy to be able to breed

Certainly looks like a platy to me, she'll be fine to breed with yours (she looks pregnant now though).

If she had been in a tank with any males previously to going in with your male then its almost a 100% certianity that another male has already done the deed.

There actually doesn't have to be 2 females to every male in order for them to mate by the way. The reason for a harem is that males will literally mate females into exhaustion and death so by having more females than males the activity gets spread out among various females but 1:1 will still mate and produce off spring. Also, personally I try to keep a 5:1 ratio of females to males.

Oh, and it looks like a Mickey Mouse Platy to me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back