What size tank for a betta and an African dwarf frog?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
What size tank would you need for a betta and African dwarf frog housed togather? Could I use my 10 gallon or would I need a 15 or 20?

What size tank would you need for a betta and African dwarf frog housed togather? Could I use my 10 gallon or would I need a 15 or 20?
A lot of people don’t recommend keeping aquatic frogs with fish because of their specialized feeding requirements, but if you really make sure the frog gets fed well and fed the right food, I would say you could keep a betta and 2 African Dwarf Frogs in a 10 gallon. The frogs are social and prefer to be kept with at least one of their own kind!
You would just really want to make sure the betta was friendly and peaceful. Many people don’t feel like the risk of keeping bettas with peaceful fish/frogs is worth it

I concur with the above. You shouldn’t keep ADF’s in a tank with any fish, let alone a Betta.

Yes I agree, but a lot of female betas will not fight or mess with other living things in there tank....
The main issue is that they both have different feeding requirements. Not only do they need to be fed two different foods, but the Betta (or whatever fish you have in a tank with a frog) will try to, and normally succeed in, stealing the ADF’s food. This can lead to aggression between the fish and the frog, and is usually the norm.

Yes I agree, but a lot of female betas will not fight or mess with other living things in there tank....
Misinformation. Females do not usually fight to the death like the males do, but will still fight and are just as aggressive. I've seen females beat up males during the breeding process. Overall, like bettas, ADF's do not belong in a community set up

Misinformation. Females do not usually fight to the death like the males do, but will still fight and are just as aggressive. I've seen females beat up males during the breeding process. Overall, like bettas, ADF's do not belong in a community set up
*clicks tounge* sorry, I'm not going to put them in a cumminity tank, I find 15 gallons ir less can't be used as a cumminity tank. I had 6 neon tetras, 3 bloodfin, 3 silvertip, 3 female bettas and a pleco in my 10. You could probably guess what happen next... but my female bettas were fine with each other and didn't fight or bullied any other fish in my tank. I don't wanna be rude, but most betas will be agressive, but not all. When I was 8, I had two male betas, and I put them in a bowl to gather when I cleaned there tank, no fighting accured.

The main drawback to keeping fish and frogs together is if the fish get sick. If the fish get sick, any medication used to treat them will usually kill the frog. Having separate tanks for frogs and fish is the best way to go.

*clicks tounge* sorry, I'm not going to put them in a cumminity tank, I find 15 gallons ir less can't be used as a cumminity tank. I had 6 neon tetras, 3 bloodfin, 3 silvertip, 3 female bettas and a pleco in my 10. You could probably guess what happen next... but my female bettas were fine with each other and didn't fight or bullied any other fish in my tank. I don't wanna be rude, but most betas will be agressive, but not all. When I was 8, I had two male betas, and I put them in a bowl to gather when I cleaned there tank, no fighting accured.
Your two male bettas didn't fight because of the amount of water they were in. Wild caught bettas are put into a litre bottle together, they don't fight because they're isn't enough water to be territorial and the whole event is too stressful for them to care, much like when you'd scoop your fish out of their tank and throw them in a bowl..

I'm confused about what statement you're attempting to make from my comment above. Nothing you've said is relevant to my point. I'm wondering if perhaps you just wanted to instigate an argument? I assure you, I'm not the one to try that rubbish with. Where I'm from *clicks tongue* is rude and would get you punched in the face

I'm confused about what statement you're attempting to make from my comment above. Nothing you've said is relevant to my point. I'm wondering if perhaps you just wanted to instigate an argument? I assure you, I'm not the one to try that rubbish with. Where I'm from *clicks tongue* is rude and would get you punched in the face
oh, no no no :) i click my tunge when im nervess adout something, like i just messed up and i feel bad, sorry :( i sould have pointed that out, ur right, i souldent say stuff like that bc no one knows how im saying it, sorry. thanks for the info :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back