The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Do I have to put anything underneath my tank, like foam or something?
Also, what would be the best way to prevent water from getting onto my aquarium stand? Is there something I can put over the wood that won't look ugly?
Thanks!

Cut a clear tablecloth to the size of your tank bottom?

Do I have to put anything underneath my tank, like foam or something?
That depends on how the tank is made.

Flat bottomed tanks have the whole bottom pane of glass in contact with the cupboard and they need a layer of foam or polystyrene under the tank. Even just a grain of sand (or a crease in the tablecloth) between the glass and the cupboard can cause it to crack.

Floating base tanks are where the sides of the tank are lower than the bottom pane of glass so the rim touches the cupboard but the bottom of the tank is suspended above the cupboard. These do not need foam under them.

If your tank has a base under the tank glass, usually plastic with rubber feet then you don’t need to put anything underneath.

But if you have just glass bottomed tank then usually a idea to put foam underneath.

This helps to protect the glass as the smallest grain of rock or metal can crack the glass when it’s full of water, substrate and plants etc, lot of weight.

Also helps to balance out the tank slightly by a mm or two.

This is the sort of stuff I use, comes in various sizes at different prices.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001N0Z21S/?tag=

As for protecting the stand on which the aquarium sits on, well I don’t usually put anything on that as I am usually diligent in making sure I move up any spilt water etc.

But I suppose you could put on the stand a waterproof vinyl tablecloth or something like that that helps repel water from the wood.

Or even you could put on a few coats of yacht varnish to fully seal and waterproof the wood tank stand, I’ve done this to good effect on previous stands.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I personally don’t use anything on my desk (because it’s make of laminate, which isn’t easily damaged by water).

Now on my sitting place (which is now a tank stand, lol) I put a thick piece of cardboard because I’m cheep.) :X

The foam that has been mentioned is a good idea.

Thank you for your replies. My tank has a rim, so I won't need to use any foam then.
I can look for a clear table cloth. @Ch4rlie, where can I get the yacht varnish? I might look into that.

Modern aquariums with plastic frames do not require and should not have any padding material beneath it. If you're worried about spills, you might lay down a cut portion of a plastic (picnic) tablecloth...or maybe just have an absorbant towel (like those Shamwow's) handy to quickly absorb any spills.

Some tanks (Most FLUVAL tanks, Flex’s in particular) these days don’t have the plastic rims.

If you don’t have foam under them, the beautiful glass is scratch. (The Flex’s actually come with a precut piece of foam)

Both of my tanks are flat bottomed. I have a piece of foam which I bought separately under the shrimp tank; the big tank was custom built and arrived with an inch thick sheet of polystyrene to go under it.

My previous tank, a Juwel Rio, had a floating base though.

I use styrofoam to support them, even with styrofoam I still managed to made a bit mistake...

Thank you for your replies. My tank has a rim, so I won't need to use any foam then.
I can look for a clear table cloth. @Ch4rlie, where can I get the yacht varnish? I might look into that.

Not sure if you’re US based or UK based, going to guess you’re fronm the US.

You can get yacht varnish from just about any decent hardware or woodwork store.

Or you can order online, amazon sells them -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GU8A50/?tag=

That’s UK based amazon obviously but am certain you’ll be able to order varnish on US based amazon as well.

Anyhow, should not be a problem for you at all to get some.
Just need to sand and clean the surfaces first before adding varnish, two coats should do but some folks like 3 coats for extra durability if lots of water is likely to be present, and leave it to cure and once dry you should be good to go ;)

Not sure if you’re US based or UK based, going to guess you’re fronm the US.

You can get yacht varnish from just about any decent hardware or woodwork store.

Or you can order online, amazon sells them -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GU8A50/?tag=

That’s UK based amazon obviously but am certain you’ll be able to order varnish on US based amazon as well.

Anyhow, should not be a problem for you at all to get some.
Just need to sand and clean the surfaces first before adding varnish, two coats should do but some folks like 3 coats for extra durability if lots of water is likely to be present, and leave it to cure and once dry you should be good to go ;)

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back